Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the aethetic or functional reason for the solid rear wheel rim on the 900 Custom? I love my bike, but if I had one complaint on the visuals of it, it'd be that. Doesn't really bother me to any great degree, but I am a bit puzzled why they went with it in the first place. Does it serve a function, or does it represent an aesthetic that's popular in some quarters (e.g. a design holdover from custom choppers or...?)?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
It allows the use of tubless tires vs the classic spokes where we run tubes in the tires, why solid, i would imagine its the cost factor, cheaper than the aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I wondered the same thing when I got mine. I'd guess cost is a factor. There's more than a few bikes out there with solid rear wheels.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My 2 cents: First, the 900 C was styled after the HD deuce. I'm not a Harley expert, but every one of those machines I've seen has a solid rear wheel, so I'm thinking that Kawasaki just followed the style cues. I have to point out that I think the 900 looks a lot better than the deuce. So much more style!

That said, I much prefer the solid wheel on the back. The wheel is practically invisible once you put bags on the bike so the styling isn't a big factor for me in this case. I like cleaning it! I put the bike up on the jack, start it up, put in 1st and while the wheel's spinning away I soap up my body brush and stick it in behind the pulley on the left and behind the pipes on the right. A light spray with the hose and she's all sparkly again. Can't beat it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I like cleaning it! I put the bike up on the jack, start it up, put in 1st and while the wheel's spinning away I soap up my body brush and stick it in behind the pulley on the left and behind the pipes on the right. A light spray with the hose and she's all sparkly again. Can't beat it!
I personally like where my fingers are attached to my knuckels ....

block it sure. turn it by hand with the motor off to clean it, Im on a suzuki forum as well for my sport bike and there are some really great pics of a guy with all the ends of his fingers missing and chewed up from doing as you do only he was oiling his chain.

Chains,pulleys, belts and spinning wheels are really not the thing for finger retention. ..... just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It allows the use of tubless tires vs the classic spokes where we run tubes in the tires, why solid, i would imagine its the cost factor, cheaper than the aftermarket stuff.
Right, except that the front tire is also tubeless and it's decked out in a nice thick, solid-spoke wheel. I thought of cost as well, but I couldn't fathom how the difference could be that significant...especially when more metal is being used in the solid style. Yes, perhaps there's more cost in the machining or casting or whatever they do to form non-solid wheels, but I just can't imagine te $$ difference is that great, and likely a wash with the use of more metal to form the solid wheel. But maybe it is more expensive. Or maybe it's Steve's guess at the HD Deuce.

Sounds like maybe it's less definitive a reason than I'd assumed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I personally like where my fingers are attached to my knuckels ....

block it sure. turn it by hand with the motor off to clean it, Im on a suzuki forum as well for my sport bike and there are some really great pics of a guy with all the ends of his fingers missing and chewed up from doing as you do only he was oiling his chain.

Chains,pulleys, belts and spinning wheels are really not the thing for finger retention. ..... just my 2 cents worth.
Jeez some people :rolleyes: There is always some guy that wants to keep his fingers where they belong :eek:

No that is good sound advise if you ask me, The wife may not be to happy if all you have is nob's left :)

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I`m ok with the solid wheel, but man that thing is heavy. I`m looking at the aftermarket mainly for the weight savings that should be involved. Less weight, less strain on the drivetrain, as well a bit more accessible power. May not be much, but I think it`s worth a try.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I changed my spoke wheel on my classic to a custom solid wheel. I ride cross country, (did a 3000 mile to Sturgis, back through Colorado), and I wanted tubeless so that if it went flat out in the boonies, I can plug and air up with a small compressor that I bring along, just to get back to a shop somewhere. Hope to head out to Washington State this August, down through Oregon, back through Utah, and home in good old St. Louie... If I could find a change out for my front, with the same size tire, I would change it also. I wish Ma Kow would give a choice, but that would add to the cost, so I will accept what I have. Still the best value for the buck, IMHO.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If any one of you folks with the Custom 900 & the solid rear wheel want to trade up. I would be very interested in exchanging my spoke wheel on the Classic for the solid rim on the Custom. Or if someone wants to just sell their rear wheel and replace it with some aftermarket rim, I might be willing to buy your stock rim. Send me a PM if you want to talk.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I want one for my classic easier to clean
AMEN! My intent is to get a solid rear rim and just paint it black. Then the brake dust and road grime can cover it all it wants to and I won't care. You can hardly see it as it is with my saddle bags on anyway. With a little less shine down there, I could just leave it black and forget skinning my knuckes on the brake caliper, etc. when I'm trying to reach in to wash the spokes.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Jeep Pirate, that is exactly what I have. I picked up a black powder coated rear custom wheel from Lil Deuce who posts on this forum once in awhile. Lucked out since he is from the St. Louie area, and I was able to just go and pick it up. Funny thing was that he said that he had posted it several times on the for sale listing, but didn't have any luck, so he posted it on the STL Craig's list, which is where I found it. Must have been Karma....Eh!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I want one for my classic easier to clean
DEFINITELY easier to clean. Plus, you can't really see all that much of the rear rim anyway, so the ease wins over aesthetics with me. :D

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Good point about the fingers Whiting, but I do use a brush with an 20" handle. My fingers are no where near the pulley when I'm cleaning it. But I'll certainly be thinking about this the next time I'm clean her up! Even if I just use the hose there's a lot less work than scrubbing spokes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
...I put the bike up on the jack, start it up, put in 1st and while the wheel's spinning away I soap up my body brush and stick it in behind the pulley on the left and behind the pipes on the right. A light spray with the hose and she's all sparkly again. Can't beat it!
Brilliant! I'll have to try that next time I'm cleaning my scoot. But without running the engine (just spin the rear wheel while holding the spoke brush against the solid wheel/)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Ron G, One word of caution: The stock stem on this wheel is rubber. Make sure you're not going to clobber it and cause an air leak.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts