Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a new half helmet for summer. On my first road test with it on I herd a solenoid under the tank make ticking noise slightly above, and decelerating to idle. Some times it can be annoying at speeds where you need to feather the throttle slightly above idle. Can anyone make a suggestion what this is all about!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have been wondering about the clicking sound myself. I can hear it sometimes (weirdly, not always) and it seems to be coming from the rear part of the engine - nearly under the front tip of the seat.

I am just thinking, if it was the fuel pump, wouldn't I hear it all the time?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I took my bike in for another reason and mentioned that ticking or clicking sound right at the beginning of turning the throttle. The mechanic showed me that the solenoid is indeed making that noise. He also said not to worry about it and he has seen and heard that on many 900s.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I took my bike in for another reason and mentioned that ticking or clicking sound right at the beginning of turning the throttle. The mechanic showed me that the solenoid is indeed making that noise. He also said not to worry about it and he has seen and heard that on many 900s.
Did he happen to mention the function of said solenoid? I'm guessing it's the air switching valve.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did he happen to mention the function of said solenoid? I'm guessing it's the air switching valve.
Yes, he did mention something about air and a valve. Sorry, I'm not that mechanical. He pointed it out, showed me how it worked, and said there's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bought a new half helmet for summer. On my first road test with it on I herd a solenoid under the tank make ticking noise slightly above, and decelerating to idle. Some times it can be annoying at speeds where you need to feather the throttle slightly above idle. Can anyone make a suggestion what this is all about!
Yep, every 900 has the solenoid click, most evident at idle. Its the air valve. Pretty annoying imo. A louder exhaust usually cures the problem.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, every 900 has the solenoid click, most evident at idle. Its the air valve. Pretty annoying imo. A louder exhaust usually cures the problem.
At some point I intend to upgrade the stock exhaust, this should take care of it.
Thanks All!:cool:

·
Registered
782 Posts
As said above, the clicking is the air switching valve which is a silly guv'ment mandated device to put air into the exhaust in case a few atoms of unburnt fuel get past the combustion chamber. This is also the reason that the bike will backfire (pop) especially on deceleration if you add aftermarket exhaust or debaffle the stock ones.

There are a couple mods that can be done to disable this valve so no air gets into the exhaust, but you can't remove it altogether because the computer will notice its absence and turn on the fuel injection light on the speedo. I have disabled mine by rmoving all the hoses and just putting vaccuum caps over the ports on the front and rear jugs as well as the ports on the valve. This cleans up the look of the engine area a bit. I also tucked my valve up in the channel between the two halves of the tank. When I first did this, the valve was resting against the tank somewhat at when it clicked, the tank would act like a sounding board making it 3 times as loud. In the stock position, there should be rubber grommets between the frame and the valve. I would make sure the valve is not sitting against the frame or especially the tank, which would make the click louder. Otherwise, there is little that can be done other than getting louder pipes or pluging an I-pod in your ears. I guess this is why people think our bikes sound like a sewing machine as stock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 900 classic has a sound I can hear at idle that sounds like quickly touching the horn button on an almost-dead battery. For lack of a better term, a clack (a deeper, hollow version of a click). It seems to come from under the tank. The dealer said is was a misfire caused by old gas (which was fresh). Same dealer adjusted the belt off center and scraped the bottom of the bike while it was in for minor warranty service.

·
Registered
782 Posts
My 900 classic has a sound I can hear at idle that sounds like quickly touching the horn button on an almost-dead battery. For lack of a better term, a clack (a deeper, hollow version of a click). It seems to come from under the tank. The dealer said is was a misfire caused by old gas (which was fresh). Same dealer adjusted the belt off center and scraped the bottom of the bike while it was in for minor warranty service.
1 - This sound is still probably the air switching valve.
2 - Go shoot that dealer before they can provide mis-service to anyone else. They are a danger to humanity and it is your duty to end their reign of terror. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts