Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hard time finding The wire to solder my stator on my vn900 custom, they want you to use Rosen Core 63/37. but where do i get instead of ordering it online? my parts are her an i wanna do it this week, don't want to wait and order.. is there something else that is good to use instead?? and what gauge? thank you

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Any rosin core solder which is commonly available should do the job. If concerned, suggest going to Radio Shack or another electronics shop to get the solder. I used some leftover solder from another electrical job and it worked fine. Only, do not use acid core solder - it would corrode the connections.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those little metal tubes that come with my stator, what do i do with them? do i slide them over the wire?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Am surprised at the question - this is basic wire connection soldering technique. The metal tubes are butt connectors. The wires are supposed to be inserted inside the connectors - first, slip one of the rubberized insulators which should have been supplied with the stator over one part of the wire, then slip one stripped end from one stator wire into one end of the metal tube and one stripped end from the R/R into the other end and then heat them with a not-too-large soldering iron or gun until the solder flows into and around the metal tube, making certain that the wires remain inside the tube, then without moving the connection allow it to cool until the solder is solid and the wires remain inside the metal tube. Then slide the rubberized insulator over the connection (make certain that it covers the entire metal tube and any bare wire which may be exposed, and then use a heat gun to shrink the rubberized insulator so that it won't move and expose any bare metal or wire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts