Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello riders,

do you know why the Kawasaki brand soft top case is compatible only on 2015 and 2016 model. I have a 2017 vulcan s and my understanding the only thing that changes every year is just the color option. Are 2016 and 2015 models different?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The Soft Top Case features rugged, water-resistant nylon construction with reinforced foam body and lid to hold shape even when empty

Faux carbon inserts, custom zipper pulls and integrated Kawasaki patch on lid add style
18 liter cargo capacity with expandable feature to add 76mm (3”) of vertical storage capacity (maximum capacity 21 liters)
Reflective piping
Conveniently placed handle allows for easy transport when off the bike
Mounts to rear fender using custom quad side straps and steel center bracket with non-scratch rubberized coating to help protect paint finish
Rain cover included
457mm (18”) L x 279mm (11”) W x 203mm (8”)/279mm (11”) H
Note: Do not use on satin, semi-gloss, or flat finish paint surfaces

I would think that the reason being is the paint composition. I would use a clear paint protection film on the rear fender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I'm selling mine or have been for ages. Its brand new cover never seen rain. I have 2016. I used it twice. Lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have that tail bag on my 2017 with no issues. Looks pretty good imo, and certainly handy for keeping a few things. It holds quite a bit of stuff if you need it to.

·
Registered
237 Posts
@riderusa, hello, there's a good discussion of this case in this thread
https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/130-vulcan-650-s/237257-2016-soft-top-case-rear.html

and if you scroll to post 19 in that, or here https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/2547225-post19.html you will see what I did to firm up the sides, as I didn't think it held its shape very well, though still a great bag.

As I read that old thread, I never did follow up on the clear plastic to protect the fender, but in all this time, fender still looks fine, so I guess I'm :smile2: OK.

Let us know what you decide.

Gerry

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
love mine

Very handy and as mentioned will hold a ton of stuff. I did however find that if loaded too heavy ( substantially more than spec limits) that the velcro would come undone. I fixed this by adding flac split rings in the tabs with the d-ring attachment points, then use criss crossed para cord to secure, Works great. Oh I never added the clear plastic either and no signs of damage to the paint. the 2016 & 2015 designation was probably when the ad was composed and never updated.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the 2018 model and it does work on the bike BUT it will ruin the paint.

I think that is the reason why they don't say its compatible.

Here are what its done to mine.

How I managed to get around this , was to get some static window shades and placed it inbetween the bag and the rear fender

Static Window Shade

1 - 8 of 8 Posts