Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a fall. I hit the soft shoulder in a turn, panicked, hit the breaks and clutch and skidded off into the ditch. I am fine, but my poor bike got a scratched tank, broken left mirror, cracked windshield, and the shifting lever is bent up. I was able to ride it home and shift through the gears, but it needs to be fixed. Is this is job to bring to a shop, or can I fix it myself? Advice, please! Dang!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Sorry to hear that but glad it wasn't any worse and you're OK.

Might be a good idea to take your bike to a shop and have them look it over for any other problems. I don't think they'd charge much to install the parts you mentioned.

OTOH, if you are spirited enough to pick up motorcycling for the first time at age 50, then I think you can remove and replace that lil' shifter and mirror. And since the shield needs replacing, if you are handy with tools and mechanically inclined enough, that shouldn't be a problem either.

However, I do think a shop should check over your bike.

·
Registered
445 Posts
+1 to what Redfish said,

You can look for used replacement parts on eBay and get to know your bike a little better. However, I feel my piece of mind has a value too. So even it you do decide to fix it on your own I would have someone with a trained eye look at it just to be sure.

Glad you weren't hurt.

Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the great advice. I rode 50 miles round trip today to my nearest bike shop. They straightened my shifting lever, adjusted my clutch, checked my bike over and taught me a thing or two. My piece of mind IS worth a lot and I am so relieved. They charged me Nothing. Plus I had a great fall ride in Northern Wisconsin, and had a bobcat cross in front of me. Thanks again Redfish and Ron!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hey that's great to hear! Give that shop a review online!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts