Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious more than anything. Since I got back into bikes this past April, I've noticed alot of people getting back into bikes after an extended break, myself included. Why? Why did you get out and why did you get back into them?

For me, I rode from 1975 to 1993. I met my wife in 1987 and she loved to ride as well, not her own but riding passenger. In '91 our youngest son was born. The trips got shorter, I rode mostly solo, the time wasn't there, and then one morning I was on my way to work on my bike. It was still dark and I was on an open stretch of road, next thing I know there's eyes everywhere, I rode through a herd of about 10 deer crossing the highway:eek: I don't mean I saw them and slowed down and let them cross, I mean I was smack in the middle of them at 65mph, close enough I could've touched them. It happened so quick I don't know how I got through them, there wasn't time to hit the brakes or anything. I just slowed down, pulled over, and calmed down. That was way too close. At that point I decided that risk of leaving my wife and 2 young sons wasn't worth it and I sold the bike the next day. Over the next 13 years I never really considered getting another bike. I looked and drooled often though:p 3 years ago my oldest son decided he wanted a bike. I wasn't to keen on it, but I was at least open to it, my wife on the other hand was adamantly against it. He didn't give up, it took him a year but he finally got her to agree. Our conditions were that he worked and saved the money for it himself, paid his own insurance and he had to wear a fullface helmet while he was riding. He found an old Yamaha 400 Special for $400 and he rode that thing everywhere for a year. In the spring of '07 he had enough saved to move up, he picked up a really sharp Ninja 500. The day he got it home was the beginning of the end for me. He tossed me the keys and I took it out for a ride and I had the fever back within minutes:D I think I may have put more miles on that than he did last year:p Last fall we stopped at the local Kawi dealer and I saw the new Kawi's, it was over, I knew I was getting back into bikes. It took me till this past spring to get it done, part of it was getting my wife to agree. After lots of discussions she agreed that she did enjoy riding and now that the kids were older it would be an awesome way to spend alot of time with them. So in April of this year I got my 1st bike in 15 years, an '07 VN900 Classic. As luck would have it, my oldest wanted a better bike and I wanted a bigger bike so I sold him my 900, my youngest bought his 750, and I got my meanie. So far since April I've logged just over 8000 miles between my 900 and my meanie and the majority of those miles were with my family. So I guess you could say I got out of bikes for my family and I got back into bikes for my family.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I started riding back in 81. We had just one kid, and I couldn't afford a second car. So the bike became my main transportation. Which in a way was a bad thing. I developed a tailbone pain (back then I never thought of a custom seat) and when I had to move to Ohio (Air Force), I chose to sell it in Fla vs driving on the snow or parking it.

More kids, little money, etc all got together to keep me from another bike. After a while it became one of those "one of this days, when I have the money" thing. I didn't want it as a mean of transportation, I was decided it would be a leisure device.

Why now? Not gas, really. I just kept the dream in the back burner. Then I went on a road trip with my brothers, and the topic came up. I was surprised to find all my brothers had the same dream. And then we said, why not? We got home and within a week one brother had his, and a week later I got mine. I had thought about it for so long I was very clear on what I wanted and liked.

I set out for a Vulcan 750, but quickly upgraded my goal to the 900 Custom and here I am. And very happy to be here.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
For me it was the arrival of the kids and not having the time to ride anymore so the KZ1000 was sold. *kicking self*

Then the kids were older and we are on a 3 acre chunk of land and the they were asking for an ATV or dirt bike. Two dirt bikes later, I took them for a spin a couple times and was at the local dealer in short order. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Somebody liked my bike more than I did and took it. I didn't replace it because I was broke. Then I got married and a cousin almost exactly my age was killed on a bike. My wife wouldn't hear of me getting another for the next 30 years. Gas at $4 a gallon and my promise to get a cruiser, take the safety course, and letting her have a tattoo got her approval.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just curious more than anything. Since I got back into bikes this past April, I've noticed alot of people getting back into bikes after an extended break, myself included. Why? Why did you get out and why did you get back into them?

For me, I rode from 1975 to 1993. I met my wife in 1987 and she loved to ride as well, not her own but riding passenger. In '91 our youngest son was born. The trips got shorter, I rode mostly solo, the time wasn't there, and then one morning I was on my way to work on my bike. It was still dark and I was on an open stretch of road, next thing I know there's eyes everywhere, I rode through a herd of about 10 deer crossing the highway:eek: I don't mean I saw them and slowed down and let them cross, I mean I was smack in the middle of them at 65mph, close enough I could've touched them. It happened so quick I don't know how I got through them, there wasn't time to hit the brakes or anything. I just slowed down, pulled over, and calmed down. That was way too close. At that point I decided that risk of leaving my wife and 2 young sons wasn't worth it and I sold the bike the next day. Over the next 13 years I never really considered getting another bike. I looked and drooled often though:p 3 years ago my oldest son decided he wanted a bike. I wasn't to keen on it, but I was at least open to it, my wife on the other hand was adamantly against it. He didn't give up, it took him a year but he finally got her to agree. Our conditions were that he worked and saved the money for it himself, paid his own insurance and he had to wear a fullface helmet while he was riding. He found an old Yamaha 400 Special for $400 and he rode that thing everywhere for a year. In the spring of '07 he had enough saved to move up, he picked up a really sharp Ninja 500. The day he got it home was the beginning of the end for me. He tossed me the keys and I took it out for a ride and I had the fever back within minutes:D I think I may have put more miles on that than he did last year:p Last fall we stopped at the local Kawi dealer and I saw the new Kawi's, it was over, I knew I was getting back into bikes. It took me till this past spring to get it done, part of it was getting my wife to agree. After lots of discussions she agreed that she did enjoy riding and now that the kids were older it would be an awesome way to spend alot of time with them. So in April of this year I got my 1st bike in 15 years, an '07 VN900 Classic. As luck would have it, my oldest wanted a better bike and I wanted a bigger bike so I sold him my 900, my youngest bought his 750, and I got my meanie. So far since April I've logged just over 8000 miles between my 900 and my meanie and the majority of those miles were with my family. So I guess you could say I got out of bikes for my family and I got back into bikes for my family.
thats an awesome story..im only 28 and ive always loved to ride. my dad used to ride us on his harley and dirtbikes all the time when we were little so i guess its in my blood. my wife used to like to ride but with the passing of a few friends this year on bikes she is done but is still "ok" with me riding. i could never give up riding it makes me feel so free and helps me forget about everything and anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My story is very similar to KsVn900 but it was my daughter who got me back into it. She bought the attached bike a year ago. This summer she was in Spain doing a study coarse and I had 6 weeks to ride it whenever I felt like riding. Well once she got back I decided to approach my wife about it and she wasn't excited but she wasn't dead against it either. The price of gas helped make the decision also since I commute 40 miles a day.
Since earlier I was asked to post a picture of her bike here its attached.

GS500suzuki.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts