Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may have seen, I traded in my VN900LT for a VN2000LT yesterday.

Today, while out riding it, on the Interstate, I noticed a very high pitched whine / squeal / whistling noise. It only happens when accelerating.

Is this due to a loose drive belt? Or a pulley about to go out? Or what?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here in Australia I bought a belt tension measurer. From memory I think it is supposed to move up 6mm up with 10 lb of pressure. check Ebay for one, quiet cheap and handy. It does sound like belt noise by your description.

Enjoy your Ride ( I do )

·
Registered
860 Posts
Seems like getting the belt at the right tension for it not to make noise takes a little time, you will see the consensus to be that the belt is designed to ride to the left and make a squeal as it brushes with the edge of the pulley, every one develops their own way (mostly the same with little variations) of adjusting the belt tension (not to be confused with alignment) to get the whining/chirp to go away. From what I been told whining= 2 tight, chirping= 2 loose.
Even tho I agree with K2lt that a tension meter and exact specs are the right technical way to do it, going empirical and learning how much to push the belt with your finger and how tight it should be lets you try it out and being able to check on the road and get more intimate with yur new big girl.
Wait, I just read my own post and realized something, you do Not check by hand while the bike is ON, it might sound as a no brainer but I flashed back to six years ago when I got back into riding a bike after almost 30 years and did not have a clue about the mechanics of any of this crap and I would have appreciated this kind of clarification, just to be sure.
I have gotten a fast forward jump on hte whole thing thanx to guys on this forum willing to help the newbies out with advice, I will try my best to pay it forward.
RIDE ON!!!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Should be very similar to the 900. That little tool is used on a lot of different Makes and Models. I borrow the gauge from a buddy with an FD Spec. Road King. Its 10lbs for his too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts