Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my faith in other drivers on the road has finally been dashed, and I've lost my nerve. We were leaving on what was to be a five-day trip out to Mount Rushmore on Wednesday, when two hours into the trip an inattentive driver pulled out from a stop sign to cross U.S. 20 outside of Dyersville, Iowa, and ended our trip. His view of the intersection was totally blocked by a turning dumptruck, but he decided to cross a busy highway anyway.

I was able to get rid of some speed, but we t-boned him right about at the driver's door. We are both fine, but the bike is gone. We were wearing helmets, gloves, armored mesh jackets, boots, and jeans...they all did their job. We were treated and released from the emergency room with a couple of cuts and some bruises. We are extremely lucky.

If we had been in my pickup, he would've been dead.

Thanks for everyone of you and the advice and knowledge that you've posted, I've followed your suggestions on so many things for my Voyager, and I sincerely appreciate all of your help. Just did the ignition wire wrap on Tuesday...

Again, thanks, and happy motoring; my bike days are over.

Steve Tellefson

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that happened to you.
Are you saying the Voyager was not fixable or are your bike days over because of the accident?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Very glad to hear you and yours are safe. Sad tho this happened on what was to be a great time on your skoot.
I understand how this can change one's perspective on life and the activities we pursue.
Take care and God Bless.

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I just want to say that I am so glad you and your wife were for the most part uninjured. For sure we are at a great disadvantage on our bikes. For sure near death experiences can change your life. Been there, done that don't want to do it again. God bless you guys and peace always.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Telly, so happy you and your wife survived, and I understand your decision. God bless you both.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Glad it didn't turn out worse.

I'm glad that my faith in other drivers was dashed 30 years ago. That is what helps keeps me safe today.

If it is in your blood, you will return to it. If not, then hopefully you will find an activity that provides the same level of satisfaction that I get from riding.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Glad you guys are ok. This is the chance we take when enjoying the wonders of a Motorcycle. I hope this never happens to me. My best friend road for 25 years and had the same thing happen to him 3 years ago and has not road since then. I respect his decision.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm glad you both are OK and that you had the skills and gear to walk away from it basically unharmed.Enjoy whatever is next for you.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Hey Steve!

Thanks for sharing this and I'm glad you are both okay. I hate to hear this happening to anyone and I support your decision. God Bless!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'm glad you fared well in the crash and only the bike was seriously hurt. Chalk one up for wearing the proper riding safety gear!

I understand your reaction and decision to hang up your helmets. Drivers up here in Alaska are insane, discourteous and aggressive and I am wonder just how long I will continue to ride, too. We just had a fatal accident yesterday, south of Anchorage in which three bikes, Yamaha Ventures, were riding northbound when the car they were following slowed to make a left turn off the highway. The lead rider apparently didn't see what was happening for some reason and rear ended the car and was killed. The second rider hit the first rider but received only minor injuries. The third rider was able to avoid it. Just a moments inattention can getcha.

All the best to you Steve.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Good luck, you may find the fever creeps back in. If it doesn't, that's cool too. You, and you alone will make that decision. On a positive note (please understand me here)...your still in shock, and can't make that kind of decision yet. There might be many blissful miles left in the tank yet.
Regards and peace Brother. I've been there and done that.........one guy got me a few years ago...it was a straight stretch of road about 3 miles long. He was stopped in the middle of the road with his blinker on.....I was about 1 mile away. I just got to him when my spidey sense started tingling and sure enough, he turned left right in front of me. Till this day I wonder if he really tried to kill me.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, All...

Thanks so much for your kind words and best wishes...I wish you all safe roads and sunny skies. Thanks for all you've done for me and my Voyager.

Steve

·
Registered
243 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. Every time I see people texting I begin to doubt riding. People are so extremely selfish.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Glad to hear you and the wife are ok for the most part. I had a accident back in march and can understand your decision. Good luck with the recovery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts