Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bid farewell to my 900C this week. It served me well and got me back into riding after a 20 year hiatus. It was a great machine, especially when you consider what it cost and that I spent nothing on repairs over the 3 seasons I've had it. It only required regular maintenance and a set of Metzeler tires to replace the OEM's (the wide ME880's look so much better, fill out the fenders properly). But my wife started riding with me more and more and it just wasn't ideal for the two of us. I briefly considered an HD Road King, but felt they were way overpriced. I also looked at the Victory Crossroads and Kingpin, but my experience with the 900 kept me coming back to the Kawasaki stable.

So on Tuesday I picked up a brand spanking new 1700 Nomad in blue and silver. The Nomad has gobs of power, even from idle, as you would expect from almost twice the displacement. It's a good looking bike, but the 900 Custom was a good looker in its own rite, maybe even more so. I wish I could have kept the 900, but I just couldn't justify having 2 toys such as these at this time. I whole heartedly would recommend the 900 (and have) to anyone looking for a middleweight cruiser. I did got some great information from the 900 forum and I'll continue to cruise through it. But I will be moving on to the the 1700 threads. Geez, I'll have to change my signature and avatar, too. Good luck to all and keep the rubber sided down.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Congrats on the new scoot. The Nomad is a great bike, but my upgrade (one day) will be the Vaquero. You can still hang around with us and post some pics. I would also be interested in a personnal review of both bikes. I like seeing everyones opinions on upgrading, what is better or worse. Just a honest review. Anyway, again congrats!

·
Registered
166 Posts
So you've got a new ride .... I don't think so - you know the story : NO pics it NEVER HAPPENED !!!!! :mad::p:D

Congrats to the new mighty 1700 mate ! It's a nice machine (I have test ridden it a few times - the Classic though) - and the Nomad is a real head turner.
heaps of grunt and really comfortable ! Enjoy it !!

Cheers

·
Registered
228 Posts
We are going through the same thing to MRSPOCK, when riding long ride with my wife I wish my 900 custom had a bit more power. I've kept it pretty stock except for a few mods. We are thinking a new seat would help for the long rides for her.

good luck with your new ride!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
We are going through the same thing to MRSPOCK, when riding long ride with my wife I wish my 900 custom had a bit more power. I've kept it pretty stock except for a few mods. We are thinking a new seat would help for the long rides for her.

good luck with your new ride!!!
The mustang touring seat made a world of difference for the wife.

Congrats on the new ride

·
Registered
658 Posts
congrats on the new bike... pics?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some pic's of the new scoot

Here's the new ride. I'm surprised how nimble it is considering it's 200 pounds more then the 900C. It is definitely less prone to following the tar snakes and cracks in the road; the 900 was "nervous" compared to this. And with my wife on the back, I hardly notice she's there. With the Custom, I knew she was there.

I'm in more relaxed riding position. That may seem counterintuitive, but with the 900's forward controls and drag bars, I was more stretched out. The Nomad feels odd standing still with your feet on the pavement, but once you start moving the bars are where they should be and the floorboards not only put you in a natural stance, they let you move your feet around to find your comfort spot. I thought it would take a while to get used to the heel 'n toe shifter, but after a couple of runs up and down the gears I adjusted fairly easily.

The engine has gobs of torque, 2-up doesn't faze it in the least. Of course it should with nearly double the displacement of the 900. Even at 55mph in 6th, it will move out when you crack the throttle (and no, I'm not normally in 6th at 55). You do feel the thump of the big bore V-twin more than the 900, but it isn't annoying. It does smooth out at highway speeds but you definitely know your running with a bigger engine. And I like the exhaust note, a deep burble. I know some guys would wnat it louder, but for me it's fine. After I put some more miles on the odometer; I'll give you somne updated impressions. I'm glad I made the switch, it is a better ride for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Right on MRSPOCK, I'm happy for you. I outgrew my vn900 classic lt withing a week. I was looking to the Yamaha Star Stryker 1300cc's. That would take care of the power issue.

Some one please give me a recommendation here. Thanks.
Regards,
chalomalo

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nicely done Mr. Spock. that is a gorgeous bike.

I will also turn in my 900 Classic Lt. for a 1600 Nomad in the next few days. I have put down a deposit on one after I took it for a test ride. I only took my 900 in to get the belt tightened and while waiting, tested an 06 Nomad. I was hooked. The power, comfort and sound is like no other on the lot to me.

your bike is a real looker, enjoy and thanks for the post.

·
Registered
166 Posts
both - the 1600 Nomad and the 1700 are beautiful bikes with plenty of grunt !!

Well done MRSPOCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers from downunder

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just thought I'd give you an update on the Nomad. It is really comfortable to ride and so eay to handle I'm quite amazed. It does run a lot hotter than the 900. The fan seems to come on sooner and stay on longer that it ever did with the 900. Had the mechanic check it at the 500 mile service and he said it was fine and cycled properly, also said don't worry unless the idiot light comes on. The other thing is that it clunks louder on upshifts to 2nd - 3rd - 4th, and I'm granny shifting - trying real hard not to exceed what the manual says for break-in. It's so hard not to wind it out a bit! And when I do it shifts a bit quieter for 2nd - 3rd - 4th and 5th - 6th is virtually inaudible. The oil change also seemed to mellow out the clunk some more and I stuck with dino oil for this change. Another 500 miles and I'll switch to Amsoil. The Amsoil seemed to keep some of the Kawi tick/rattle at bay in the 900 so perhaps it will improve the shifting of the Nomad, too. But by then I should not be granny shifting anyway. It is a different ride than the 900; to me it's smoother than the 900 especially 2-up. And as I mentioned previously, it is no problem with slow speed parking lot maneuvers; it's rather nimble considering it's 200 pounds heavier than the 900. If you ever think you want to make the jump, have no fear, it's an easy switch. I added the factory light bar for better noticeabilty and have to figure out what to do on the back end to add a few more lights. I am thrilled with the Nomad.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You have exactly the bike and exactly the color I want when I upgrade. But, the wife has other priorities with the cash, so my girlfriend will be around for a long while. One can dream...............

1 - 16 of 16 Posts