Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
18,331 miles on mine. I had a bet with a friend that I could push it to 20k before the belts started showing. However the other day on the way home from work some idiot (and yes I can see the hypocrisy of calling someone an idiot when I myself have chosen to ride with bald tires) decided not to look both ways before crossing the street and caused me to have to lock up my brakes and skid a few hundred feet. Lucky for me the sound of screeching tire was enough to snap her back into reality. So of course she does what most people do when they screw up and realize that they have just put someones life in mortal danger. She froze, and stopped half way out in the middle of the road and looked right at me such as a deer would do when caught the headlights. I can tell you, this girl was cute, blond hair, full lips and probably the prettiest blue eyes I've seen in a while, probably enhanced by the 10,000K HID bulb that was hurdling toward her drivers side door at about 70 mph. Funny the things you notice when you almost die. Even funnier was that for a brief second (although this may have been an afterthought) I considered doing a Superman dive through her window and punching her in the face as my last act before my impending and seemingly imminent demise. But lucky for me the girls state of shock left me just enough room to maneuver around her front bumper and not end up a wooden cross with my helmet sitting on it. (Ironically the one I was not wearing at the time).

So anyway, I did not manage to get 20K on the stock tires. Seems my skid damaged the back tire in such a way that it is almost impossible to ride a strait like down the road. So she's in the garage until my new set arrive. Avon Venom-X 200/70/15 and a Shinko 777 130/90/16 for the front.

So, how far did you guys get on the stock tires? I was told by the dealer I'd only get 6-8K on them.

Here's the pics.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think you have set a record.

That is the most miles i have ever heard of on a Dunlop. Do you ride on a lot of asphalt or concrete
I changed mine at 5k miles looked like your back tire, front lasted 9k. Brushed and slotted concrete rips the soft rubber up.

Congrats.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine lasted about 8100 miles; Both the front and back tires were right at the OEM/Legal limit (1mm), so i didn't chance it and bought 2 brand new metzeler ME880s. Those tires are a huge improvement, and the bike feels like its riding on glass.......

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its been ridden on just about everything. Mainly asphalt. But seen its fair share of gravel, dirt, cement, chip and seal, and potholes.

Can't wait for the new rubber to get here. :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
Its been ridden on just about everything. Mainly asphalt. But seen its fair share of gravel, dirt, cement, chip and seal, and potholes.

Can't wait for the new rubber to get here. :D
Now, don't take this the wrong way.....but....how much do you weigh? Could have bearing on the long life of your tire.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now, don't take this the wrong way.....but....how much do you weigh? Could have bearing on the long life of your tire.
About Bout 220 now, But my weight has fluctuated between 170-236 from the time I got the bike till now. :D

Not to mention I've had passengers from 90 all the way up to 350 or so. (not that I've ever actually asked)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
5k on my rear. Not that bad, but she's not long for this world. Same miles on the front but it's not bad. Bike had 9k on it when I bought it and they were BALD, made the dealer give me a fresh pair o' shoes when I bought her.

Glad to hear you're ok! They don't pay attention much do they? Drives me nuts... you're in one of the deadliest machines man has ever created (and I'm talking about the car, not the bike) but you haven't got the decency to make sure it's pointed 'down range' so to speak.

It's funny. They want to ban guns because someone somewhere might at some point sometime decide to hurt someone. But, we're okay with uneducated tested-once-in-their-lifetime not-held-accountable-for-their-actions drivers all day long :)

Okay rant over. Glad to know you're alright and managed to squeak by that one. How long until you're heartbeat returned to normal and you could breathe again? (Funny story, when I had my little 'incident' with a truck a while back, I near passed out because I was holding my breath through all of it, and after I stopped and straightened the bike up, I was still holding my breath LOL)

·
Registered
399 Posts
About Bout 220 now, But my weight has fluctuated between 170-236 from the time I got the bike till now. :D

Not to mention I've had passengers from 90 all the way up to 350 or so. (not that I've ever actually asked)
One theory shot down ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
7500 on the rear and a rainstorm told me it was time for a change; changed the front at the same time but the front still had about 1000 miles left on it. I ride mainly asphalt with a little concrete mixed in from time to time, and thanks to my large carcass, two up (75% of the time) makes for nearly maxed out.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I think riding style has a lot to do with it. If you like to twist that thing on the right alot the rear tire isn't gonna last. Same with a tendency to brake hard, or to use the front brake almost exclusively. My front tire looks great, about 75% tread left or more, but I tend to ride a lot of highway (meaning not a lot of stopping), and I always mix both brakes, so the front isn't 100% of my stopping power. Not sure if that's why, but I do think that might be why my front has been lasting so long. (Mostly the majority highway riding though, not using brakes much at all means the front doesn't have to do much, just roll with the ground. When you start pushing AGAINST the road by accelerating [rear] or hard braking [both, but front especially] I think you eat it up much faster)

On the flip side, using the rear brake means more work for the rear and it's going even faster. (Plus, I'll admit it, I like to open her up sometimes :) )

·
Registered
851 Posts
18K on a stock dunlop, you win in my book for the most miles on a stock dunlop. I went thru two rear dunlop 7-7.5k and that was enough for me, I put Pirelli MT66's on front and back and couldn't be happier, Have almost 15k on the back and could still get another 2k out of them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts