Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 900 Classic LT for almost a year now, love it, and commute 60 miles round trip as often as I can. Yesterday it turned 10K miles, and a friend of mine mentioned at this rate, I'd wear it out in the next year.
As long as I keep it serviced and new rubber on it (yep, time for tires already) is there any reason to believe I wouldn't be able to get another 20K out of it?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
143 Posts
if you keep it serviced and keep up the maintenance theres no reason you shouldnt get another 200K out of it! Well at least another 150K..

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I've had my 900 Classic LT for almost a year now, love it, and commute 60 miles round trip as often as I can. Yesterday it turned 10K miles, and a friend of mine mentioned at this rate, I'd wear it out in the next year.
As long as I keep it serviced and new rubber on it (yep, time for tires already) is there any reason to believe I wouldn't be able to get another 20K out of it?

There is a forum member; I think his screen name is Big Toe; who has close to 200,000 miles.

I think @ 10k a year with minimal maintenance you could easily pull off 10 years or 100k.

Scott

Oops. didn't mean to contradict you Chop, your post wasn't showing when I hit submit. 150k is reasonable too.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Gee, what does your friend ride? Worn out in 30K? Certainly not a Vulcan. I've read many stories here of 150k to over 200k being very reasonable as long as you keep on top of all the routine maintenance. Take care and ride safe.

·
Registered
143 Posts
There is a forum member; I think his screen name is Big Toe; who has close to 200,000 miles.

I think @ 10k a year with minimal maintenance you could easily pull off 10 years or 100k.

Scott

Oops. didn't mean to contradict you Chop, your post wasn't showing when I hit submit. 150k is reasonable too.

S'all good!:good:

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I got my 800 the guy seemed to think 12K was high miles so he bought a new Harley and I got the 800 for a song. I should have kept his number cause I could have maybe scored a "high mileage" Harley for cheap.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Just my 2 cents, before I buy used I like to check around in junkyards to see how many are trashed . Well in my search for parts for the 900 used at bike junk yards in my area . I found NADA, they told me when and if I ever junk a 900 they would love to buy it as Vulcan used parts are hard to find.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I own a 1989 en450 which is the baby to the 500. I have just over 17k on it. Granted that isn't a lot but the bike is 24 years old. I've been doing all the maintenance on the bike since I got it. Found almost everything I've needed to know about the bike on another forum "Kawasaki 454 LTD Forum." Now that I have joined this forum I am also getting some good information. As I said the 454 is the baby to the 500. A lot of the parts on the 500 are interchangable with the 454. Same gas tank, hand controls. Even some of the stuff from the vn750 will fit on my bike. Talking with guys on the forum I should be able to get a lot of years of riding out of this old girl. Bike has done me well in the 3 years I have owned it. Keeping up on the pm and maint. I should have a lot of good years left to come. I recently was able to acquire some very hard to find OEM accessories for it. Can't wait for riding season to give em a run.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Man I hope I get >100K out of my '07 900 LT. I bought it new and until spring last year it had only 13K on it. Northern PA didn't offer a lengthy rinding season. However, Since I moved to Northern VA last spring I have put ~10,200 miles on her in the past 9 months, 800 since Jan 1. My previous bikes have all died around 45-50K (none were Vulcans). I am looking forward to another 10K+ year.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Motorcycles with low miles die from neglect, not use. Since most motorcycles fall into this category, the myth has perpetuated that they're "used up" by 20-30k. You'd experience the same thing with a 10-year-old car that only had 30k on it.

Riding 60 miles a day, with proper maintenance, is the best thing you can do to your bike. I expect 100k at the very low end out of it. Probably a lot more.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I hope we all see the day when you come back and tell us you just turned 100k then 150k and maybe even 200k with regular maintenance. I have no doubt the you'll see 150K if you maintain it and some cage doesnt run it over while its parked at work. (Dont ask)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Motorcycles with low miles die from neglect, not use. Since most motorcycles fall into this category, the myth has perpetuated that they're "used up" by 20-30k. You'd experience the same thing with a 10-year-old car that only had 30k on it.

Riding 60 miles a day, with proper maintenance, is the best thing you can do to your bike. I expect 100k at the very low end out of it. Probably a lot more.
Ding ding ding ding.

Low mileage used bikes scare me. Likely owned by someone in a mid life crisis who may have never changed the oil, certainly never took the time to change fluids and the like (brake fluid, coolant, etc.), and likely let it sit for months at a time; then fired it up and took for for a short ride and came back.

I'm at 30k on mine and she is running like when brand new. Starts up instantly, runs wherever I need to go, motor is strong. I absolutely expect 100k out of her and only that much because about the time I hit 100k, is about the time I'm planning on maybe moving up to a full size touring bike.

There is more than one 100k+ VN900 out there. Big Toe had over 150k on his and had NEVER DONE THE VALVE ADJUSTMENTS! He had to replace his valves do to them finally burning some 130k overdue for maintenance, but that thing took a beating! He used conventional oil and followed Kawasaki's service schedule.

Treat it right, keep it maintained, she'll run forever.

I put a lot of miles on my vehicles each year (around 60k). I have had more than one 500,000 mile car, with no major repairs, and typical maintenance. I firmly believe that vehicles that are used regularly and have a decent amount of miles put on them last longer. You ride/drive it enough to notice issues early, you maintain it at good intervals because of the mileage (so fluids don't sit and break down), and the engine spends more time warmed up and operating, as opposed to short stop-and-go runs, which are hard on the motor. A great example there is city fire trucks vs. the road tractors they are based on. My sister is a firefighter in a big city. They have all sorts of mechanical issues, all the time. They are a freightliner chassis with a detroit diesel. It's not uncommon for them to need a complete teardown and rebuild of those engines at 50k. Yet, it's not uncommon for a freightliner road tractor with the same engine to get a million miles between rebuilds. The reason? The fire department only goes 4 or 5 miles most of the time on a call. The engines rarely get warmed up completely, and every second counts so the engines never get any idle time before taking off, just crank and go. That's a LOT harder on a motor, than 10x as many miles on the highway, or properly warmed up first (not up to operating temp, but a good minute of idle time before taking off), or ridden/driven every day long enough to get the engine completely warmed up.

Not an engineer, not a mechanic. But, that's what I've observed. Just seems like vehicles that get driven last, and vehicles that sit don't.

There are also certain un-named brands of air-cooled motorcycles and certain engines in their line known to be rebuilt every 30-50k or so. A friend of mine has a 2005 Har.. er.. un-named brand with 26k on it that he just had rebuilt. Another friend has the same bike, 110k miles, rebuilt twice. So, not every bike is equal. Heck, even Kawasaki has had some real duds. But the Vulcan 900 motor is a strong motor that has a proven track record of long reliability.

·
Registered
170 Posts
There are also certain un-named brands of air-cooled motorcycles and certain engines in their line known to be rebuilt every 30-50k or so. A friend of mine has a 2005 Har.. er.. un-named brand with 26k on it that he just had rebuilt. Another friend has the same bike, 110k miles, rebuilt twice. So, not every bike is equal. Heck, even Kawasaki has had some real duds. But the Vulcan 900 motor is a strong motor that has a proven track record of long reliability.
Funny you mentioned that. I went out on a group ride today and one of the other guys was riding some type of Harley that smoked really bad out the exhaust. He told me his rings were shot at 40k and he was already due for a rebuild. He then proceeded to tell me that the 2009 Vulcan I just purchased mid-January with 24k and already put 2,000 flawless miles on is on its last legs and will blow up any minute now.

Another guy with a 2006 Vulcan with only 8k on it and having engine problems. I guarantee you it's because he lets it sit so long.

By comparison, I put 5k on my previous bike (Hyosung GV250) in as many months before I bought the Vulcan. Again, no issues.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Guess my bike never heard that. Add another 1,000 or so for when the speedo cable broke. Just replaced the cams. Did the rings because I had it apart. Machine shop said the only reason he would not say the pistons and cyclinders were not new is that they were a little dirty. Never had an issue with it running or leaving me stranded, unless you count the time I locked my key in my locker at work. They dont run so good without the key. Also had the valves reground, and only the exhaust seats, the intakes still sealed like new. My 1st valve adjustment was at 87,000, way past due.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yeah, if you don't hit 6 digits on your odo, you're doing something wrong. Or you traded it. I sure wouldn't worry, just stay on top of maintenance.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Mileage

I realize all that needs to be said has probably been said, but I have seen a lot of 900's in the 30,000- 40,000 miles range......I have an 07 with 20,000 and I can't tell any difference today from 07 when I brought it home as far a the running part, never a problem. I realize some will come with wear but they are very durable bikes....

·
Registered
847 Posts
I am an older person, I don't pay full price for coffee at McDonald's and I don't have to ask. I have ridden several bikes in my life time, some bigger, some smaller, but I really enjoy the legroom and comfort of the 900. It is just right for me. I thought about trading or buying another bike, but I realized I didn't know what it could be so I saved my money. Sure we turn a few more rpm's than the big boys, but I get there.....

·
Registered
847 Posts
Salvaged / Junked bikes

Speaking of salvage yard search for bikes. I learned this by being there. My friend wrecked his bike and it looked repairable but it had a slight frame weld crack. The ins. co. totaled it and put it in a group for auction where dealers only can bid for them. They are allowed to have them welded and certified and resell them, so we were told.....made me rub my chin and wonder about a few things. Have any of you heard anything like this or have any better info?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts