Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new '09 900 classic - Out the door @ $7700. That includes the 5 year warranty and the lojack. Not overly concerned if I paid a bit more than I should as I was pretty comfortable with the shop, the staff, and it was the bike I wanted, but I am curious. The real question I have is if the warranty will really do me any good - most people say no, but I think the extra piece of mind is worth it. And has anybody actually had to use their lojack for recovery? Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
All that matters is that you're happy with the deal. And welcome to the world of Vulcan. I picked up a new 900 Custom a few years back after a 20+ year hiatus from riding and have enjoyed every ride on the bike especially morning commutes. When I bought mine, I included a three year extended warranty but it has expired. But I never needed it. The bike has been perfect. I did change the stock tires after only a few thousand miles and went with the Metzeler ME 880's. They made a big difference in handling especially 2-up. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Congrats on your new scoot, and welcome to the forum.

Have fun, and ride safe!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Enjoy your new ride. You will find it to be a good solid bike and does a good job in town and on the open road. When it comes time to change out the frount tire get a Metzler MH90/21 tire it makes it even a more solid ride.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think you did good brother. I paid 5800 and change otd on my brand new black classic 900 2 months ago, BUT that was including my trade in ( 2000 Suzuki merauder vz800), which they gave me $1000 for, but it actually needed $400 of work so in actuality they gave me 1400 for it with repairs. My otd did not include any extras or extended warranties.

Congrats and enjoy the new ride. I know i do. Im happy and don't care "if I could have got it for a little less".

·
Registered
263 Posts
I got the three year ext warranty and service plan with mine as well. I have not used the warranty, but I have taken full advantage of the service plan. The last one was billed at almost $400. I hope to get one more in before it runs out.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Most will tell you that extended warranties are a waste of money ... untill you need one.
Peace of mind is a good thing, having someone else pick up the tab is even better. Just be carefull what accessories you add that may void the warranty and give cause for certain parts to become exclusions.

Congrats on the new ride, its a great bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In May, 2009, I pulled the trigger on an '09 V900 Classic LT. I didn't get the extended warranty but the ride is rock solid and has never needed warranty work. I paid $8K otd and have been very satisfied that I got a good deal. I plan to ride it til the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Just got my new '09 900 classic - Out the door @ $7700. That includes the 5 year warranty and the lojack. Not overly concerned if I paid a bit more than I should as I was pretty comfortable with the shop, the staff, and it was the bike I wanted, but I am curious. The real question I have is if the warranty will really do me any good - most people say no, but I think the extra piece of mind is worth it. And has anybody actually had to use their lojack for recovery? Thanks
You might want to check your sales receipt to see how much the dealer charged you for the Extended Warranty. Dealers mark these up by about 300%. The Kawi Extended can be found on ebay for about $350 (I bought mine from Fremont Motors, pd. $345).

We have a whole year from the purchase date of our bike to add the Extended; makes sense to wait 'til the last month of the first year to add it, since the original factory warranty is in effect anyway. And the difference in price I'll bet is enough to get you a Mustang seat....

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Congratulations! I got mine just about 2 weeks ago...an '09 Classic.
Just added crash bars and am waiting on a part to put on a windshield.
Check my posts for pictures...which I was going to suggest you should do...we all like to see pictures of other bikes.

Did you hear about the saddlebag offer? They should be no-charge, thrown in by Kawasaki. There is a thread here about it...look for other posts of mine.

I did not get the lojack or the extended warranty. I may add it later...not sure yet.

Enjoy the ride, and check back here often. Lots of good information and tips...plus a bunch of us 'new '09rs' to chat with.

Rod

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
You might want to check your sales receipt to see how much the dealer charged you for the Extended Warranty. Dealers mark these up by about 300%. The Kawi Extended can be found on ebay for about $350 (I bought mine from Fremont Motors, pd. $345).

We have a whole year from the purchase date of our bike to add the Extended; makes sense to wait 'til the last month of the first year to add it, since the original factory warranty is in effect anyway. And the difference in price I'll bet is enough to get you a Mustang seat....
You got it from them...it's the official Kawasaki warranty? Have you had to use it? It's much cheaper than the dealer...

Rod

·
Registered
735 Posts
I just looked at Fremont Motors...they still offer the warranty.
You got it from them...it's the official Kawasaki warranty? Have you had to use it? It's much cheaper than the dealer...

Rod
Rod,

Same exact warranty... I've never had to use mine (now have 45,600 miles), but that was my hope when I bought it. I'll definitely buy another one when I trade up to the 1700 (and probably from Fremonts).

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've bought warrantees for all my bikes, just for peace of mind. Strange thing those warrantees, they are nice to have but you hope you don't ever have to use them:eek:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I took the E-Bay warranty price to my dealer and he matched it rather than lose a sale.

The extended warranty saved me a bunch when my front output shaft bearing failed. It would have been a $1,700 repair without the warranty.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I took the E-Bay warranty price to my dealer and he matched it rather than lose a sale.

The extended warranty saved me a bunch when my front output shaft bearing failed. It would have been a $1,700 repair without the warranty.
Your dealer matched the $355 price?
Wow...that was a good idea!

Rod

·
Registered
455 Posts
Speaking about learning from others....

When I bought my Classic in 08, I had the choice of a leftover 07 LT for $400 more.

I made the mistake of not getting the LT, as I had read about the windshield being to large, and not easily detached.

You can take stuff off these bikes, and sell it very easily. That and the two year warranty, made my choice the wrong one.

While I have not had any issues that would have used the warranty, I have spent more than $400 on Highway bar, Sissy bar, and bags.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts