Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to get the Kawasaki 'plain' gel seat for my 2012 900 Custom... Initial impression was that it was firmer, lower, and had more support for my lower back/tailbone. After a solid 2 hour ride today I really don't see any improvement over the stock seat. The ads I read for it say that there's no break in for it but I'm really hoping they're wrong. Going to give it a few more rides to decide whether or not to put it on Ebay and go buy a Mustang seat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought the flamed gel seat about 3 weeks ago now, have put at least 600 kms on it now, maybe more. Most of those kms were traveling back and forth to work, so the 600k probably took longer then it actually should have.

Anyways, I've notice I sink in to the seat much more now. I have kind of a boney butt, and there were pressure points. Those pressure points are all but gone now. The seat has definitely become more comfortable as time passes and because of the shape difference, my tail bone no longer hurts after 25 mins of riding. In fact, my tail bone was pretty severely bruised and it actually healed while continuing to ride using this seat.

Let me know of you have anymore questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Edited for spelling... Damn auto correct

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you get the 'comfort' flame or the regular? I think there was a $5 difference, the comfort was 3/4 of an inch taller. I got the regular plain gel seat. Supposed to be no rain till next week so I should be able to put another couple hundred mies on the seat in fairly short order. I hope it works out similar to how yours did!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an '06 900 Classic, so there's no regular or "comfort" seat listed. It's just one seat.

Here's the part number for you to look it up for comparison K53001-192.

I bet your seat will get more comfortable with a little time. I thought the only difference between the Custom and Classic seat was the size of the passenger pad. Both seats can be used on either 900, so maybe you could exchange it for the other if it doesn't work out.

I put it like this in another thread... I know that not everyone is the same or has the same butt, so what works for me, may not work for another, especially when it comes to tailbones. I have to remember that i paid less then $300 (Canadian) for a brand new seat, and the cheapest Mustang I've been able to find was $400 (US) for a used seat.

I know I didn't buy the best seat on the market, but I did buy a great seat, for a good price, that fits like only a factory made accessory could fit.

Ultimately you have to decide what comfort is worth to you. I found comfort for much less than others have paid for seats.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also just got the K53001-192 Flame comfort Gel seat for my custom and it does feel a bit firmer. But I've only had it for about a week and less than 100mi.

I'll be putting close to 1,000 miles on it this weekend, but I'm packing the AirHawk with just in case.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I got a Saddleman Solo seat a couple of weeks ago I am very happy it is conformed to my butt and I have no pain....super comfy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts