Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Debating with myself on getting a classic or a custom.

I like the fatter front tyre on the classic and the bulkier looking forks.
I also like boards and can add highway pegs pretty easily.
Additionally I can get it in Black which is cool.

I dont like the IMHO hideous guards the classic has.

On the Custom I do like the position of the pegs, and the controls and seating are much more to my liking.

The guards are way nicer, the alloy wheels look awesome, but the front tyre needs to be a little wider.

In Australia the custom is only available in Blue or Red - both actually look good - I just want Black or Kwaka Green though :-(

Both models will need mods of course I am just not sure where to start .... Had my licence and 20+ years of owning sports bikes, so I am older and my back, butt and shoulders now like the feeling of comparitive comfort offered by the Vulcan, and the 900 is a good weight and size for commuting and day tripping.

All opions and thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The difference in tires is really in looks and preference, and that's about it. As for the rest... sit on both, test ride if you can, and make the choice based on that. All the Custom owners are going to say pick the Custom, all the Classic/LT owners are going to say pick theirs, but in all honesty, BOTH are great bikes! YOUR seat of the pants assessment is going to be the best for your situation.

·
Registered
151 Posts
For me it came down to which ever one I got the better deal on. I got a better deal on a Leftover 2009 classic as opposed to the 2010 classic SE, which was over 2k more. I love the chopper look of the custom but not for 2 k more....and that hideous silver seat just looks so out of place on a blacked out bike. Would I have got the custom if I had gotten the same deal, yes...hope this helps...

And btw I love my new classic....have no regrets whatsoever...

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the moment both the same price for a brand new bike, and the seat is one think I *know* I will have to change regardless of choice.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The difference in tires is really in looks and preference, and that's about it. As for the rest... sit on both, test ride if you can, and make the choice based on that. All the Custom owners are going to say pick the Custom, all the Classic/LT owners are going to say pick theirs, but in all honesty, BOTH are great bikes! YOUR seat of the pants assessment is going to be the best for your situation.

I like both for different reasons they both are comfortable but a 20 min ride is nothing like 3 hrs or so.The arguments and opinions of both sets of owners is exactly what I am looking for they have lived with their bikes for long enough to have an idea of whats the good or bad..

·
Registered
193 Posts
My 2c worth!

As a fellow Aussie rider, I had the same agonising choice. I loved the custom look, and so sat on as many as I could find (being on a restricted licence at the time could not ride one) before ultimately buying a Candy lime green '07 custom. The only cruiser I rode previously was a 650 vStar which I found awkward and uncomfortable for my 5' 11" height. Yes, it was a gamble buying the custom unridden, but I have not regretted the choice. At the moment I have no problems with the stock seat, even after a 2 hour spell in the saddle. Both my arm and feet reach is fine, and I can squirm around a bit in the saddle to ease any numb bits.

There are plenty of threads here regarding tyre choice. I insisted on a new rear as part of the purchase, as the stock dunlop was almost gone. The dealer put on a std. size Metz 880 - perfect!!

You can go to a 90/90 21 Metz on the front (check out this thread http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10934 - thanks Mr Spock!!) if you are concerned about the size, but I have had no issues so far - even on NSW's atrocious back roads.

A 200 on the rear is definitely the go, but it isn't listed on the Australian Metzeler website (only the US), so availability could be a problem here

Either way you, will not regret your choice, the VN 900, custom or classic, is a fine choice of rides!!

Live long and prosper!!

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, alyays room for more opinions though!!
I am leaning to a red VN900 Custom which I can paint to black if I *really* need to go that way.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi all,

Debating with myself on getting a classic or a custom.

I dont like the IMHO hideous guards the classic has.
I've had a Classic LT since August. It's a great little bike. I don't think there's a bad choice between the 2 and it really depends on what you want to do to the bike later on. You want a bagger type bike? The Classic would be a better platform. Otherwise, the Custom is a great choice. I wish that the Classic had alloy wheels available.....

Dunno what you're talking about with respect to the "guards".

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aussie colloquialism guard short for mudguard.
I think the American term is fender.

Fender for me is a guitar, bass and amplifier manufacturer... ;-)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Personally, I like the looks of the Custom 900, especially the blacked out special edition model. The Classic, especially the Classic LT seems to be set up more for longer distance riding, but the Custom takes it for looks, IMO. One big difference is the front wheel and tire. That large 21" hoop is more sensitive to lineal blemishes in the road surface--cracks, pavement heaves, etc, while the fatter tire on the LT seems to go over them without any difficulty. I also feel that the smaller diameter, fatter tire handle better than the 21" setup. In short, if most of your riding is short distance or in town, the Custom is the way to go. It just looks cooler. You'd probably be happier with the Classic or Classic LT if you like to travel.

As for the front fender on the Classic/LT, I'd be willing to bet that you can find a suitable replacement from the aftermarket. Oh, and if you opt for the Classic or LT, the first thing to go will be the seat! Mustang makes a good replacement.

·
Registered
129 Posts
No decision for me...the classic is the epitomy of the badass motorcycle. I feel like the custom just looks like something Hot Wheels would put out. It's just a personal preference but when I dreamed about a motorcycle it always looked like the classic.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a 2011 900 Custom on Saturday.... Love it.
Ergonomics great, Looks awesome. Goes ok comming off a 20 year hiatus with bikes and my last being a GSXR-1100 it did feel a bit lacking - it seems to have an intermittant belt squeak, a rattle under the seat and heaps of gearbox whirr.
It is very easy to ride infact I was wondering if I should have looked at bigger bikes - I was expecting a much more weighty and lethargic feel - its not a sports bike but its nimble for what it is.

Put 350kms on it in one hit, now looking for a new seat as my ass is busted :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looks aside... the largest factor in choosing between a Classic or Custom is your preference of spoked wheels/tube tires (Classic) or mag wheels/tubeless tires (Custom.) If you look through the 900 forum, you will see several debates on which is better, however one thing is agreed... it costs major money to switch out to mag/tubeless on a Classic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts