Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 vulcan88, VN1500A.
This is a bike I bought February 2019 , 27,000 milesI've been working on her different areas most recent replace the clutch spring
enclose picture will show a snapped off bolt recessed into the right lower bolt hole of the r exhaust.

the bolt that was existing was a make-do "shortie" which bottomed up to recessed snapped bolt.

Of course when I disconnected the exhaust system to get to the clutch spring repair I saw what repair owner in past had done. and the threads are wallered out now of course. Lol.

so what I would request help with would be where to buy, a good little hand tapping kit that I can find to retap after I drill out the Snapd bolt and of course find an appropriate heat treated bolts that will go in that hole.

Secondly, picture,
Looking from back tire of my motorcycle forward you will see the bracket that holds two small bolts and nuts the bolt that muffler back to the bracket this is an after-market system someone installed with the straight pipes ..
These rattled off as I rode bike 217 miles when i purchased bike,
anybody have any idea where those bolts can be located or do you think I'd be better off just picking some make dues, up at a Home Depot and trying to make something work.
I appreciate this site it is already helped me so much the knowledge here is unbelievable thank you guys for help.
I am a retired residential service drain,repair plumber. you and anyone has questions on a plumbing problem you have just give me a holler John [email protected] yahoo.com thanks
boat 20190715_193440_1563241349035.jpg 20190715_193440_1563241349035.jpg 20190715_193440_1563241349035.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Forego the tap set and purchase some easy outs. I just changed handlebars on my bike and used them on stubborn philips slotted screws that hold the hand grips on the bars. You will save your threads. You can check youtube for different videos that show how to use the easy outs. I bought a better set at Home Depot for $14.95 .. money well spent.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would not use an easy out; it's sure to break off leaving you in much worse shape. Try some left hand drill bits (and avoid breaking the drill bits off)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am going to have a different opinion here.

Do not fiddle with it at home. Take it to a machine shop. ONLY because the tools to get it right the first time are more expensive than the cost of getting it done.

The good news is that the location of the break point is down in the hole.
Why is this good news? Because there is room to put a guide bushing for the drill.
A left hand drill with a guide bushing to center it will likely do a perfect job of loosening the broken stud. Keeping it centered matters. It really matters.
However, that broken piece still has to come past the damaged threads so it bit of a challenge.

If you have a lathe, you can make a guide bushing by drilling out the center of a bolt that is the correct size. If the "shortie bolt they used was the correct thread, you can chase the thread in the hole to begin with and use a similar bolt for the guide bushing."
Although if you had a lathe, you would probably have done all of this already.

You may well need to go up 1 size and re-thread the hole. (Tough to tell from the photos)
Alternatively, you might be able to use a thread repair insert such as a helicoil insert or similar.

I usually like these for easy outs but steel bolts stuck in aluminum can be a special kind of misery. I would use a left handed drill bit though in this case.
https://www.ridgid.com/nz/en/10-screw-extractor-set

Overall, it is a small but annoying job. Do it right, whichever way you go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well gettn up to speed ordered some tools off Amazon, should have a sit down at bike hopefully this weekend, Can some one put me on the trail for these bolts that are factory for the exhaust clamps I need to get some in bench stock, can't seem to find the parts schematic on line.
My service manual shows me course no trail from there.
Tks!

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts