Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

As the latest owner of a 92 VN1500 i purchased the bike knowing that there was work to be done!!

The bike is a European import and has 23000 KM on the clock.

The VN starts fine but is blowing smoke from the rear cylinder. I have done a compression test and both cylinders were at 120psi.

Plugs to the rear were black and had build up on them, fronts were fine.

Now to me if the compression's were the same front and rear, then its unlikely to be piston rings so my next thought is valve seals or valve seats on the rear cylinder.

I guess that it is engine out and dig into the root cause.

can anyone advise of any tips or hints and where the best place for gaskets in the UK is?

Quick additional Question.

Any tips on removal of the spark plug holder from the cam side of the head? struggling to locate a 27mm hex key....

Many thanks

Stuart

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I will try the plug socket end tonight :)

I was unable to check the quality of the rocker cover gasket as it split as I removed the cover.

I don't believe that it is a water leak as the smoke has a distinct smell of oil and the exhaust pipe is definitely contaminated with burnt oil.

I will be able to see more when i get the head off but from what i have seen so far there is a heavy carbon build up in the center of the piston. i will psot some photo's when i can.

Regards

Stu

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok guys an update.
New valve seals, plugs, gaskets, de-coke rebedded the valves cleaned everything and she’s running and smoke free.
Took her out for 50 miles today and enjoyed every moment 😀
Looking forward to a summer of VN fun !!
Regards
Stu

1 - 7 of 7 Posts