Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find a smoked lens for my taillight. Does anyone currently produce JUST a smoked lens? -Kyle

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've been checking out youtube vids on the plasti dip rubberized paint and have seen several do their tailights with the smoke color. It seems to be a good way to do it and if it doesn't work you can peel it right off. 7or 8 bucks for a can would be a worthwhile experiment to try before investing in a lens made for them.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I think, while it may seem to look cool, putting a smoked lens on the taillight of a motorcycle is a bad idea. First off, it's not legal in many states. For example, in Alaska, the taillight must be visible from a distance of 1000 feet at night. Smoked lenses rarely meet that requirement. Secondly, we were invisible enough as it is, why would you want to make the problem worse by reducing the amount of light from the bike?

I understand that it may not be an issue if you never ride at night, but still, you want as much light as possible to the rear. Besides, your taillight assembly houses both the rear running light and brake light. You'd want them to be as bright as possible. Putting on a smoked lens is a safety issue, IMO.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
smoked light

I think, while it may seem to look cool, putting a smoked lens on the taillight of a motorcycle is a bad idea. First off, it's not legal in many states. For example, in Alaska, the taillight must be visible from a distance of 1000 feet at night. Smoked lenses rarely meet that requirement. Secondly, we were invisible enough as it is, why would you want to make the problem worse by reducing the amount of light from the bike?

I understand that it may not be an issue if you never ride at night, but still, you want as much light as possible to the rear. Besides, your taillight assembly houses both the rear running light and brake light. You'd want them to be as bright as possible. Putting on a smoked lens is a safety issue, IMO.
+1 Most of us go to adding more and or brighter lights for increased visibility. Smoking any lense is counterproductive.

Smoked auto lenses usually come with a warning that they are display purposes only and are illegal in most states for street use.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know that smoked lenses are not illegal here in BC.
I had a problem finding one too, finally got it here on ebay.
Actually came with the integrated turn signal LED board. Haven't hooked that part up yet, but as a taillight it works awesome.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To those who don't approve of me wanting to have a smoked lens, I like the look, and that is what I want.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that smoked lenses are not illegal here in BC.
I had a problem finding one too, finally got it here on ebay.
Actually came with the integrated turn signal LED board. Haven't hooked that part up yet, but as a taillight it works awesome.
Perfect answer! Thanks man!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Don't smoke the taillights, unless you want someone hit you from the back and sue you for illegal taillights. even if its their fault.

For most people, you want it as bright as possible. so people see you. I have three break lights with my saddlebags and they are bright as hell. you never know what people are doing in their car.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
To those who don't approve of me wanting to have a smoked lens, I like the look, and that is what I want.
No open is expressing disapproval. You're free to do what you want. We are merely letting you know the possible consequences of having a smoked taillight lens. But in the end, it's your choice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a clear lense with matching clear signal lenses! If my bike was black/grey I would want the smoked also.My 1400 intruder had all smoked it looked great as far as safety...if you ride in ottawa,no amount of light will help you when the cagers are driving with a cellphone in one hand and a coffee in the other IMHO!Hope you find your smoked lense! Rob

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
lmfao....when it comes to pure light transmision the LIGHTLY smoked lens will actually allow more light through than the HEAVILY tinted red oem lens.....remember those smoked lenses are light tint.... not limo black......also these are not like those GTS car/truck tailight blackout covers from the 90's that went OVER the stock lenses and drasticaly cut down the light tranmitted.....these are lenses that replace the stock one...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just want a nice, clean, and simple bike. I feel like a lot of people want to get all complicated and look like Christmas coming down the road with all kinds of lights and beacons. Just not my style.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got the look I want. I just lightly spray tinted the stock lens.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
What did you spray tint it with?
I have never had a problem with smoked lens, as long as you get the red or amber bulb. Just as bright.
On my Virago my smoked lenses were almost mirror like, and with the amber bulb were extremely bright!

....and they are legal in Canada.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a clear lense with matching clear signal lenses! If my bike was black/grey I would want the smoked also.My 1400 intruder had all smoked it looked great as far as safety...if you ride in ottawa,no amount of light will help you when the cagers are driving with a cellphone in one hand and a coffee in the other IMHO!Hope you find your smoked lense! Rob
That's the route I went, but my bike is black. All the lenses are clear, bulbs are colored. I like the contrast, no colored lenses and no reflectors. Smoked lenses look fine on the right base color paint, just not a fan of too much black on black.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Yes, I would not want too much black on black either. with the chrome exhaust and other parts, with the two tone paint, this is as far as I will go. I considered black spoke covers, but I think I will leave it.
Not sure what the fuss is about. Smoked lenses are legal in Canada. They just have to have an amber bulb. My signals are as bright as before. Instead of an amber lens and white bulb its a smoked lens and amber bulb. As stated before, smoked bulbs offer more light transmission than colored, but not as much as clear. Just bought the taillight smoked lens with the LED that SMoscrip bought. Again, its much brighter than stock.
I do not ride in the dark, but would have no problem doing so. Geez with all the people changing their entire signal lights to a small, wee, light, or a couple of LED's that can barely be seen, or having rear view mirrors that look cool but offer much less glass to see with, or not wearing full face helmets or proper safety gear (I do). As well, my new tail light flashes half amber with the signal lights, is a full running light and full brake light, both brighter than stock. Much safer in my opinion.
Trust me, I personally would never trade safety for look on my bike. But, I harbour no ill will to anyone who chooses to do so. Wear what you want, put what is legal on your bike and enjoy! Personal preference is just that! It's your life, enjoy it as you wish!

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Go to gadget's fixit page. He details how you can put a piece of cardboard over the clear portion to protect the LP light. Then paint the inside with a coat or two.....
There are a couple of pics, see if that is to your liking....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts