Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Vulcan classic 1500fi
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does your engine smoke when cold? Mines like an old diesel in winter!
VN 1500n
Fuel Commander, straight pipes and intake mod. All emissions gear removed.

·
Administrator "Loose Nut"
Houston, Texas
1,302 Posts
Pull the plugs, that will tell you if a rich condition exists or an oil issue.

Automotive tire Font Material property Circle Eyelash

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rebuild on engine including plugs approx 200km ago means I'll have to wait to do that..... But thank you for the suggestion.

·
Houston, Texas
1,302 Posts
Rebuild on engine including plugs approx 200km ago means I'll have to wait to do that..... But thank you for the suggestion.
I'm not understanding. You post you are having a smoking issue. Í suggest one of the easiest ways to determine if it's a fuel or oil issue. Reading the plugs would allow you to concentrate your resolution to the issue, not second guessing. You say plugs just put in and you would wait, even if just put in they will have either carbon on them from unburt fuel if fuel issue or oil film if oil sealing issue. Please keep us addressed on your testing procedure to find the issue and recourse of repairs.

·
Registered
470 Posts
All engines 'smoke' when cold. I put 'smoke' in quotes because it may not be smoke but water vapor. Fuel is made of hydrocarbons and when a motor is cold, incomplete burning of the fuel results in some of those hydrogen molecules splitting off and bonding with oxygen from the air to form water/steam. This is why exhaust pipes drip water when the motor is cold (and why you should never start you motor up in cold weather if you don't intend on letting it fully warm up to operating temperature).

·
Registered
2007 Vulcan Custom 900
3 Posts
Does the smoke have a colour? (Ie. blue or black tinge) or is it white with a sweet smell?

·
Houston, Texas
1,302 Posts
I'll second that it looks like oil. Looks like something didn't get done right at rebuild. If a shop did the work, take it back and have them fix it. If it only smokes at startup then yes, it appears you have some bad valve seals.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is it possible a bad injector could accomplish the same thing? (Create smoke)

·
Houston, Texas
1,302 Posts
The smoke looked blue in the video. Can you confirm it's blue? If it was an injector it would be black. Wipe the inside of exhaust with your finger. It is black soot residue? Or is more wet and oily? You could also pull a plug to see, black sooty or oilly looking?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I named my '01 1500 classic, Smokey, for the same reason.
When I did the motor, the jugs looked clean and score free, so I didn't hone/ring it.
Seals, valves, etc, but no hone/ring job.
Big mistake...
Someone told me those are famous for "egging" at TDC.
I'm taking it down again this winter and doing it right.
I change plugs for oil-fouling ever 1500 or so.
Plus, I consume about a pint/300 miles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
606 Posts
If it only smokes for a short bit after starting up overnight or sitting a few hours ...valve seals.
If the burning becomes worse after it warms up..oil is thinning and going past rings.
If the engine is fresh as you say..the oil consumption is better when warm..but worse when cold..then it may have been a sloppy freshen up...in which case..you need to work it.
Accelerate hard...let off it...Accelerate hard..let off it.
Don't lug the engine...don't be afraid of higher rpms.
Find somewhere to do your Accelerate and let off it routine about 20 to 30 times...then find a big stretch of highway with hills and run er hard to try and seat those rings...open er up every time you go up a hill.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The smoke looked blue in the video. Can you confirm it's blue? If it was an injector it would be black. Wipe the inside of exhaust with your finger. It is black soot residue? Or is more wet and oily? You could also pull a plug to see, black sooty or oilly looking?
Black soot. Dry black powder.
Sorry for the slow response.
Don't get near my bike much as it's already below freezing at night here.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts