Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with this $99 module (the ST2 module), that provides self cancelling turn signals for the VN900? The science behind it sounds interesting. I believe the VN900 is compatible with it, but I'm not 100% sure. I went to the website to check, but chose not to put my email address in to find out. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Thanks. The product website is:

https://safer-turn.com/product/smart-turn-system/

·
Registered
218 Posts
Pretty cool, but I've finally managed to train myself to kill the damn signal at every turn, I'm going to stick with it. And if you were to jump on a bike without this after getting used to it?!?!? Faggetaboutit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I must admit that after 23 years of riding a Honda Pacific coast for 80,000 +miles, I was somewhat surprised/disappointed that my new 2018 Vulcan Classic LT, lacked the self-cancelling signal function that I had enjoyed all those years!
Probably saves Kawasaki $25.00. I would happily pay them $100, for the convenience and safety.
Although I haven't explored it further, I believe KISAN offer a similar product to STS. They also market a plug in fuse replacement option(10APF) It requires a dedicated fuse for the turn signals but I'm not sure if our LT's are compatible.

My manual cancelling thumb does not always operate at 100% efficiency. Hopefully it won't take me another23 years!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My manual cancelling left thumb does not work at 100 percent efficiency either. I find in urban traffic in the DFW area that something frequently distracts me (something I have to pay attention to) immediately after a turn. That's when I forget to cancel the turn signal. I have tried to train myself to cancel immediately after a turn, regardless if I used the signal or not. This hasn't stuck yet.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
After 30+ years of manually cancelling, I now have a Vaquero with self cancelling signals. Biggest PITA ever! Nearly every stop I make, the signal cancels while I'm waiting to turn. Sometimes before I come to a stop. I had seen this problem on friend's bikes in the past, so it's not a Vaquero problem. This is more annoying and just as dangerous as leaving them on.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Its called muscle memory.
If you do something enough times you will remember.
SO you need to be very conscious of canceling your signal right after a turn, for two weeks and then you will always do it.

Never have a problem with my left thumb.
Dont know why you want or need this thing.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 weeks :surprise:

I've been riding steadily for over 2 years, and it still hasn't stuck 100% of the time. :frown2:

·
Registered
59 Posts
myself cancelling indicators.

After many honks and hoots, angry waves and fist shaking I fitted an indicator buzzer. It sounds a bit annoying at times, but always reminds me so I'm going to leave it on. I've transferred it to each of my last 4 bikes.
Am I missing something or am I a bit dumb. How does the self cancelling unit work?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't know the principle behind the Vaquero system, but the PC800 worked on a lean angle system. Once the turn signal switch was activated the indicators would blink until you had turned and subsequently returned the bike to it's vertical position. Although there was a time limiter also, in all my 23 years riding it, it only came into play on 3 occasions! It was a faultlessly designed and engineered system in true Honda style.
As to you other question, i will refrain from answering it. LOL !

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
BikeMadPete, from reading about this particular unit, I'm guessing it works like this. It has a microprocessor, an accelerometer on a chip, and a magnetic compass on a chip. I don't know if it has a lean angle sensor. It samples 300 times per second. It also times out and cancels after 14 seconds of activation. That's the same issue SteveJB was discussing with his 1700 Vulcan.

My opinion is, if you have a timeout feature built into the device, then you're not that confident that you know when to cancel.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The Vaquero system cancels 8 seconds after the bike travels 200 ft. I always seem to hit the signal too early so they cancel while I'm waiting to go.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Well I have a St2 and I love it

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I had no issues as such and it works well.

The only little issue was the little rubber stoppers that you have to put into the switch mechanism werent that good so cut some of my own foam and that fixed my issue.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yea 2 weeks, and yes just as posted above the signals canceling to soon on their own
no system is 100%, just as my left thumb on occasion will forget to cancel as well.

No system is as good as you being aware or your surroundings!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I had no issues as such and it works well.

The only little issue was the little rubber stoppers that you have to put into the switch mechanism werent that good so cut some of my own foam and that fixed my issue.
I trained myself to cancel right after an up shift. So I'm cancelling mine all the time, even if I haven't used them.

Weird issue with the Vaquero (not a problem just seems strange): I signal, make the turn, let the signal cancel by itself. Then for some reason I need to use the 4 way flashers. When I cancel the 4 ways, the original turn signal comes back on. The system electronically cancels, but the switch is still in the "Turn" position. Same thing if I let the signal cancel and shut the engine off without manually cancelling. Start it up and the turn signal comes on.

·
Registered
213 Posts
After many honks and hoots, angry waves and fist shaking I fitted an indicator buzzer. It sounds a bit annoying at times,
Depending on the kind of buzzer you have, you can wire the 'drain' or ground side of the buzzer to 'hot' side of your brake light. This will, again depending on the type of buzzer you have, reduce the loudness slightly but the benefit is that it won't make any sound when you apply the brakes. So if the sound is annoying you or your buddies while at a stop light, you can just apply front or rear brake to get some silence. I've used this trick on several old Hondas.

I have two Kawasakis with self cancelling signals and although they do occasionally shut off early (typically when signalling to enter a left turn lane that is a bit of a distance from the actual left turn intersection), that minor annoyance is more than compensated by 100% never having them stay on when they shouldn't be. Overall, self cancelling works perfectly for various situation >99% of the time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Stop that noise!

Thanks VulcanDrifter.
The buzzer I have does have an adjustable number of flashes before it comes on, and when you apply the brakes it does go off which is just as well as it sounds like a reversing fork-lift truck!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts