Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered the Smart Brake System which seems like a pretty good idea. Basically it can be installed so your brake lights either flash or come on solid when you decelerate depending on how you install it, letting drivers behind you know you are using engine braking or downshifting etc. Hook up seems pretty simple however here's my question:....the wires to the brake/signal/licence plate lights are very thin on my Vulcan and are solid, and the system includes little snap on connectors that you then attach the wires coming from the module to. I'm concerned that these little snap on connectors will actually sever the wires. Any thoughts and has anyone installed one of these modules? Cheers....here's the link...Smart Brake Module - Improve your visibility on motorcycle

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Hi again Ribdan. I already have a brake light modulator, but when I went to the site you posted, really liked the Smart Turn System and ordered one for my 900. Got a 20% discount. $65 including shipping. Pretty inexpensive considering the amount of safety it delivers. The wife can’t ride with me anymore due to health issues, so she usually follows me in her Mustang convertible. When we stop she always says “Leaving those signals on all the time makes you look like an real old guy from Florida”. Thanks for posting this website.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi again Ribdan. I already have a brake light modulator, but when I went to the site you posted, really liked the Smart Turn System and ordered one for my 900. Got a 20% discount. $65 including shipping. Pretty inexpensive considering the amount of safety it delivers. The wife can’t ride with me anymore due to health issues, so she usually follows me in her Mustang convertible. When we stop she always says “Leaving those signals on all the time makes you look like an real old guy from Florida”. Thanks for posting this website.
Yeh a good I idea...I decided not buy the Smart Turn System because I change my bikes so often and I thought I might get lazy and so dependent on it..anyway I bought the Smart Brake System instead and won a draw so got it for 40% off....still cost me $ 53 US.....but worth it....so, any thoughts about the wiring to the tail lights?..I'm concerned they may get severed when applying the little connector clips..... the wires are insulated and in a protective sheath but are very thin....

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I tied my voltmeter into the license plate light wire on my '07 900 Custom. I originally used the snap on blade connector that came with the meter. The wire is a light gauge, but it's braided. I don't think you have any solid wiring in the harness. They need to remain flexible and solid wire snaps after multiple bends. Anyway, the connector lasted about a year. Then the blade in the connector had corroded so much there was no contact and the meter died. I ended up soldering the connection like I should have in the first place. Short story: the connector shouldn't (never say never) damage the wire, but tying and soldering is always the best way to go.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't actually stripped the insulation off the wires, just inspected them and you are prob right that they are braided but they do seem pretty stiff. There isn't a lot of room under the seat even if I strip the protective sheathing back quite a bit. Your suggestion of soldering makes a lot of sense. In the pic I've cut open the fattest of the 4 sheathed wires on the right and there is 3 thin wires inside it. I have to wait for the module to come before I start hooking it up just to make sure I have the right wires. Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts