Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So because of my hellish work schedule, my poor bike sat from October until earlier this month. We had two guys at work quit and another lost his life in a car accident, so we are stretched thin.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I went to start the bike and it ran sluggish and wouldn't idle smoothly. I sensed bad gas. I decided to tear the carb down, thoroughly clean it, and inspect the parts. Turns out the little rubber o ring in the pilot screw assembly was damaged and some rubber bits had gotten into the pilot jet, and the mangled O ring was partially blocking the air passage from the pilot screw.

I cleaned all that out, and then I also realized that I had never changed out the main jet from when I went from the stock air setup with a K&N hi-flo filter to a Baron's Big Air. I had put a larger main in it at that time, but because of the increased air flow of the baron's kit, I decided to go even bigger. I went from the stock 138 Kehin to a 140 Dynojet before (a 152 Keihin) and ran it that way for 10 years. My mileage was anywhere from 37 to 41.5 mpg and it ran fine except I could tell it was just a little lean at wide open throttle, which i hardly ever got to. Anyway, I went with a 148 Dynojet (162 Keihin) and took it out for a 100 mile spin yesterday of varied speeds and terrain. I ended up with a nice running bike with great throttle reponse and got 45.59 MPG. I am stoked, to say the least. :D

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
So because of my hellish work schedule, my poor bike sat from October until earlier this month. :D
yeah, pesky work.. all ways gets in the way of taking care of bidnes and having any fun..

·
Registered
233 Posts
So because of my hellish work schedule, my poor bike sat from October until earlier this month. We had two guys at work quit and another lost his life in a car accident, so we are stretched thin.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I went to start the bike and it ran sluggish and wouldn't idle smoothly. I sensed bad gas. I decided to tear the carb down, thoroughly clean it, and inspect the parts. Turns out the little rubber o ring in the pilot screw assembly was damaged and some rubber bits had gotten into the pilot jet, and the mangled O ring was partially blocking the air passage from the pilot screw.

I cleaned all that out, and then I also realized that I had never changed out the main jet from when I went from the stock air setup with a K&N hi-flo filter to a Baron's Big Air. I had put a larger main in it at that time, but because of the increased air flow of the baron's kit, I decided to go even bigger. I went from the stock 138 Kehin to a 140 Dynojet before (a 152 Keihin) and ran it that way for 10 years. My mileage was anywhere from 37 to 41.5 mpg and it ran fine except I could tell it was just a little lean at wide open throttle, which i hardly ever got to. Anyway, I went with a 148 Dynojet (162 Keihin) and took it out for a 100 mile spin yesterday of varied speeds and terrain. I ended up with a nice running bike with great throttle response and got 45.59 MPG. I am stoked, to say the least. :D
I have a 1500 classic with FI and mine isn't near that high. But, I have straight Cobra pipes, a FI management system and Hypercharger intake. Still, I was hoping for better mpg. I just got it a week ago.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 1500 classic with FI and mine isn't near that high. But, I have straight Cobra pipes, a FI management system and Hypercharger intake. Still, I was hoping for better mpg. I just got it a week ago.
Well, my mileage was too good to be true! the next time I rode it, I did notice an off-idle stumble where from a standing stop it would cough, pop and then take off occasionally, and a slight hesitation at the top end. I suspected the culprit was a needle that was too low, so I raised it a notch. That fixed it, but now my mileage is back down to 38-41. :(

Like I said, small changes, big difference! :D

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does. Though I rarely ever ride WOT, occasionally one may need it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well, I'm a doofus. Figured out my 'problem'. I filled up. Had a flat. Ended up running the battery low in the meantime. Well that reset the trip odometer which is what I was using to gauge my mpg. I just realized it the other day because I had filled up again and went out to crank it one day and she didn't want to start (think it's a battery issue). Ended up running it low again which reset the counter again. That is when it dawned on me that it reset. I was almost at 100 miles before it moved off of the F on the fuel gauge. But it's looking like I am around 45 mpg. Now, I am happy:grin2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts