Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small portable air compressor that uses the cigarette lighter in a car to power. I bought it to take on a trip with my Concours. I tried it one day plugged into the stock cigarette plug and it blew a fuse on the bike.

Do you think I could use it on the Vaquero?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Your average 12v "convenience outlet" -- cigarette lighter -- has a 10A fuse. On cars they're often inline fuses buried behind the dashboard (do not ask me how I know this) and I imagine bike designers have carried on this user-hostile design paradigm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At Canadian tire, I bought a Cigarette lighter that is wired to battery clamps. So, for example, if I have to plug a flat tire and want to use the compressor, do you think it would be fine to remove the battery cover under the seat and clamp onto the battery posts to run the compressor?

If I did this, should I disconnect the bike from the battery first? Could I leave the bike running while running the compressor?

Roadpro 12V Battery Clip-On and Cigarette Lighter Adapter https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00065L2D8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_P4MFzbQEYB5RZ

·
Registered
324 Posts
Running the compressor directly off the battery is okay, as long as those clips will fit. I'd do a trial fit to see if there's room to get them connected.

Leaving the bike running would be a good idea.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can save a lot of time and effort by adding one of these to your bike. Once that's installed you'll be able to plug in all sorts of gadgets. Battery chargers, jumper cables, USB port, charge port, etc.

Just some of the Gadets.
I did sort of that same idea but direct from the AUX point(s) to USB, micro USB, etc. but they are wired to the AUX circuits so no good.

Yes, a trial run is a good idea. I'll do that in the morning. Leaving Tuesday morning so no time to order/add anything now :(

Thanks for the tips all. Very helpful.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Enjoy your trip and ride safe.

I did sort of that same idea but direct from the AUX point(s) to USB, micro USB, etc. but they are wired to the AUX circuits so no good.

Yes, a trial run is a good idea. I'll do that in the morning. Leaving Tuesday morning so no time to order/add anything now :(

Thanks for the tips all. Very helpful.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Would a small pipe-type hand pump be sufficient for these kinds of tires? After reading this I'm thinking that's a simpler (and more space-saving) option for myself.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Would a small pipe-type hand pump be sufficient for these kinds of tires? After reading this I'm thinking that's a simpler (and more space-saving) option for myself.
You have air shocks? Get an air shock pump with a zero loss fitting and a digital gauge. No reason one couldn't be used to top off the pressure, but if you are pumping up after an on the road tire repair, expect 10 - 20 min. of steady pumping to get the tire up to pressure. The delivery volume should be about the same, or maybe a little less, than a compact bicycle pump.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank god I didn't have to use my electric pump. 2,800 KM through the mountains. Got back 2 days ago. Bike performed flawlessly.

Took the 16 yr old boy with us. We bought him a CBR250R a month ago. With his learners, he did very well and his CBR was outstanding too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts