Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 Vulcan 900 classic. On the way to work and about 15 minutes into the drive I was accelerating got to about 55 couldn’t get any more out of it. Too much throttle and it bogged down. I managed to maintain about 55 the rest of the way. After work I drove with same symptoms to a gas station and being near empty, I filled up on marine grade high octane ethanol free gas. I read on an earlier post where someone with the same/similar symptoms replaced spark plugs and that didn’t work for me. Now I’m struggling to maintain 40 mph. Even in neutral the throttle cuts out without allowing the bike to reach high rpms. Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated. I just got the bike Monday and I’m eager to get back on it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Kind of sounds like an injector that isn't meeting the flow requirements the ecu is demanding. Might be clogged or gone bad

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
This sounds like a fuel problem. Not the gasoline put into the bike, but a fuel system delivery issue. My guess would be a fuel pump issue, most likely a partially clogged fuel filter. Unfortunately, on the Vulcan 900, the fuel filter in an integral part of the fuel pump.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to be clear, I’m new to owning a bike and although I’m not trying to make anyone mad, I might question your response only because I’m trying to learn. How could the stator cause my throttle issues? Where would I install a pressure gauge to test the fuel pump?

·
Registered
218 Posts
The reason the dying battery causes this is because it does not have enough power to send fuel through the injectors at the right pace.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks G man. Battery and charging seems good. About 12.8v engine off. 14.7v engine on. And today it seems worse. Just tried going down the road and struggled to reach 20 mph.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those are the old plugs, new plugs have only been in a day. Mods to the bike according to seller are: dealer installed bore kit to (1179), and 3” big shot pipes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just messaged the previous owner. Bike sat for about a year. When she came back from deployment, they had mouse infestation. I guess I need to look for chewed up wires and hoses.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Vcooper, maybe not, regarding mouse infestation. The bike was running, before the symptoms appeared. The steady decline of top speed suggests to me a progressively clogging fuel filter. If there is a steady progression of corrosion with the wiring, it could reduce spark. Does it miss when trying to go faster? If it does, it could be either fuel starvation or weak spark, but the plugs you pulled show a bit rich. Since the bike sat a year, have you looked inside the fuel tank?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I feel stupid. Checked the tank, found rust at/around the top fill level. Hard to see near the bottom, but there seems to be something there(full tank of gas). I would imagine the bottom of the tank should be smooth and shiny and it doesn’t appear that way. I guess my next step is to drain the tank? And replace the filter. Next question is do y’all recommend replacing the fuel pump and filter? If so, is there a replacement name to stay away from?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts