Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 Vulcan 500 question.

Bikes shifts nicely enough but the shaft onto which the foot shifter pedal fits is loose side to side..it goes about a quarter inch each way...I see there is a washer about 1/8th inch thick on each end.

Wondering if I took off the foot peg support heavy metal thing and then loosen the set screw/bolt that holds the shifter to the shaft if that would allow me to push the foot shifter further onto the spline?

Thank you for any opinions and/or tips.

Bob

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Bob,

Is your 500 the A model or the C model? On the C (aka LTD) there is a snap ring holding the inside washer in place. If it is missing then the shaft could move side to side.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont' know if it is an A or a C...Can I tell from the VIN number?
Thanks.
Bob

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Bob,

The A model has the speedo on the handlebars and a belt drive whereas the C model has the speedo on the fuel tank and a chain drive.

The model tag on the steering neck may have the info on it as well.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks BB.....I have the C model. Checked into it more this afternoon. The outer spline is pretty well covered by the foot shifter. The inner spline is all but not covered at all by the clamp thing that attaches it to the shifting rod going back to the tranny...the inner spline appears to be bent from not having the shifting rod attached to it properly for so long...
I believe this is gonna have to be done at the shop and will likely involve some new components.

However, I am still open to suggestions and further questions.

Thank you,

Bob

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Do you think that someone did not properly seat the inner clevis to the shaft? The clamp bolt must fit in the groove of the shaft. You may be able to remove the clamp bolt, seat the clevis, then reinstall and secure the clamp bolt.

This link will take you to the Kawasaki parts breakdown for the shift linkage: http://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagram/11787/1996/EN500-C1

All of the parts of the shift linkage can be replaced with standard hand tools (except that you will need a 10mm Allen wrench to remove the footpeg mount.).

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill, good questions and comments. Thank you. My hunch is that the clevis is all but not attached to the inner spline but still holds because the spline appears bent in that area. My guess is that the spline and the clevis are "wedged" together and that is causing them to stay attached....

I will dive into the project later today and remove the foot peg support bracket and see if I can improve upon the situation...

Thanks for support and for the link to the parts involved.

Bob

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update for today: moved the foot peg out of the way and was able to get the outside clevis fastened tightly and flush but the inside one is immoveable by me..I tried to pry the inner clevis off with a screwdriver and cat's paw tool to no avail...looks like someone put in a screw improperly to hold the inner spline and now the spline is bent..does not look like it will be a big deal for the wrench guy to fix and It seems certain that one or more components will need to be ordered.

I'll post the results when they occur.

Thanks again.

Bob

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took the bike to the shop today and the mechanic was able to straighten the inner clevis somewhat but was not able to push it onto the spline further, so we ordered a new inner clevis plus the entire spline with all of the washers and other parts that attach to it..Usually takes two week for parts to come in..

Good news on another front, however...The clutch handle was extremely difficult to pull in and I adjusted it and was able to make it an easier pull, so I am satisfied that my work on the problem is done..

Once I get the foot shifter refurbished I will turn my attention to the cosmetic stuff..Bike is a five footer at best, maybe an 8 footer, but I got it cheap, and it runs great, so I am not complaining...

Bob

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, replaced the shaft to which the foot shift lever, as well as Clevis is attached.....Now bike shifts like a knife going through soft butter..

Clutch is still harder to pull than I'd prefer...wondering if there is an "ez pull" type of clutch handle that would swap out for the stock one with no change in cable?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Bob,

Given the age of the bike I would suggest either lubing or replacing the clutch cable.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you..I neglected to say it is a new cable that the PO installed...might be the wrong one, or aftermarket one that works badly...I;ll try the lube..
Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts