Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil recently and noticed the level at the top of the sight glass to the point that I had to tip it slightly to see an air bubble. I didn't think much about it until my paranoia woke up with me today with a nagging fear that I was going to ruin my new ride.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken the bike has to be vertical (not on the sidestand) to check the sight glass...verify with the manual.

If this is the case hold it upright while a second person checks it...or get an inspection mirror on a stick...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
OK...on to the next thing.
If you are that concerned about it...and the bike has high and/or low marks on the sight glass you could always back the drain plug out and lower it a bit.

What precisely does your owners' manual say about checking the level?
Is there a dipstick with markings? Just the sight glass?
Does it tell you to warm the engine up for xx minutes, etc. before checking?

Different bikes have different procedures.

Annnd...not to assume anything...did you just change the oil, or the oil and filter? As you may know the oil fill amount on servicing is typically more if the filter is to be changed, less if it isn't...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
Yep, that might be a little too much....
I would drain a little bit out...

BTW, you don't need a friend or an inspection mirror if you have a cell phone...
Sit on her nice and straight and level and take a picture of the sightglass with your phone...

As a sidenote, get a magnetic drain plug for a bit more peace of mind...

Ride On !!!
Luckymann77
:grin2::grin2::grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping the consensus would be that it was fine.

The last thing I wanted to do was drop the drain plug and let a little out, check, and repeat, but that is what I ended up doing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Maybe try something like a turkey baster. If you need to, get a foot of tubing to fit tight on the end and see if you can get some out by squeezing the bulb, then puttling it down in the oil from your oil fill plug.

What I have actually used in the past, is one of those battery fill baster things. New of course and never use it for batteries again. It has a nice capacity squeeze bulb and a narrow tube. It just may not be long enough and you will have to get a tube to put on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i tried sucking some oil out with a syringe and tube but it didnt go so well because i couldnt get the tube down far enough and didnt want it to get stuck in there .

When draining I dropped the bolt and lost most of the oil what a mess and waste of good oil that was lol.
Anyways from my reading most people say not to overfill over the top line some say to go slightly below the top line because oil can come out into the air filter via the crank breather tube and cause a mess . I wouldn't worry about a slight overfill doing any damage but a big overfill can cause problems.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
all you have to do is remove the drain plug and use a clean oil pan, drain a bit then refill that oil back in your bike again but put a little bit in, then check sight glass, and repeat till you got the right level, then save what remains from the oil pan into an empty container for next oil change

·
Registered
19 Posts
Found this...for the NEXT oil change; snap on a hose with the appropriate fitting, push up and twist...

https://www.femco.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/FemcoCatalogus2016.-v2.1-Gecomprimeerd.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Noice! that would be handy I was just thinking of something like this the other day I wonder how far down it comes on the bike looks like it would be about an inch or so hopefully it wouldn't cause any clearance issues on a bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts