Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 1600 about two weeks. Test drove it 3 weeks ago. It's been around 70 degrees for all rides until recently the cold front has dropped our temps into 40s and 50s.

I have done some searching on this forum and others about this but can't seem to find a solid answer. Some say it's typical of these engines and some say it needs to be looked at. I just want to get it taken care of it's something that can cause long term damage.

Bike has 23k on the clock. Looks to have been very well maintained and had a decent amount of service records with it.

So basically when I crank it and the ambient temps are below 65 or so even if i let it run for a few minutes I hear a very light ticking at low rpms (seems to be on the left side but hard to tell because of the exhaust). After riding for around 10 minutes it clears up and I cant hear it anymore. Also every time the temps have been slightly higher, if it is making the tick i don't hear it nearly as much. Definitely seems to be temperature related and only at a lower RPM.

Anyways, is this just the nature of the beast as I have seen a lot of people saying or have I got an issue I need to get checked out?

Thanks!

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
I have experienced the same thing on my 1600, too.
I believe it to be just the nature of the beast.

These engine are known for strange noises.

Could be cam chain or hydraulic lifter noise waiting for oil to get up there.

Ride on !!!
Luckymann77

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sounds like the cold idle solenoids, they can tick when working. I removed them, you can also check out this site on now to keep them and not hear them has much. I tried that and still did not like the sound so just removed them. if you check this site, them go back to home page you will see all kinds of things you can do. Cold Idle Solenoid Muffler

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, thanks for the replies guys. I feel much better now. You know how it is when you just get something and every little noise makes you so nervous... well it does me anyways lol
I will definitely check out that website as well to see if it is what I am hearing. But I am going to ride on and enjoy the bike instead of taking it in to a shop. Thanks again!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sounds like the cold idle solenoids, they can tick when working. I removed them,

Mj -
Is there any difference in how it runs without the Solenoids?
yes, there is no more ticking from them. but the bike will be a little harder to start when cold out. i never ride (or try no too) below 45, so my bike starts and runs fine. It is not just me but any owner who puts a aftermarket intake on removes them and I never heard of anyone missing them. Just like the reed valves more things to remove, nobody needs them but the factory because they make these bikes run lean to pass EPA. Then they need help at cold start ups and back-fire. Remove them install a fuel mod, air intake and open up the exhaust your bike will run better. Just my 2 cents but many have done it and it works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just picked up my new mistress last month so I didn't get the chance to ride much. I started to look for an exhaust leak then read a couple threads like this. Now I feel better...just have to wait for this bloody winter to be over.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My Vaquero does the same thing in colder temps... common thing to hear. Relax and enjoy the wind therapy..

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
a tick here or there won't hurt anything on the 1600's, nothing to worry about

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just started my mean streak after a 4 month slumber and wholey crap i got worked up when i heard the noises it was making! I seriously thought my engine had no oil or something was toast in the engine and i shut it right down. But after some research i found that the hydraulic lifters use oil pressure to adjust and after a long time of no use the oil can/will drain from them and they will have alot of lash/clearance so once the engine warms up and the valves pump up the noises should go away .
PS Some hydraulic lifters can drain faster than others as well. also the Solenoids tick as well as others have already said .which is considered normal and likely what you are hearing.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I just started my mean streak after a 4 month slumber and wholey crap i got worked up when i heard the noises it was making! I seriously thought my engine had no oil or something was toast in the engine and i shut it right down. But after some research i found that the hydraulic lifters use oil pressure to adjust and after a long time of no use the oil can/will drain from them and they will have alot of lash/clearance so once the engine warms up and the valves pump up the noises should go away .
PS Some hydraulic lifters can drain faster than others as well. also the Solenoids tick as well as others have already said .which is considered normal and likely what you are hearing.
My nomads ticks after every winter on start up,lifters tappin,8k ,No biggie,no other issues except the F,,,,,,,,n headlight plug not comn off.:grin2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts