Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. i am going to be building a small sleeper trailer to pull behind my bike. i have a few designs i am trying to decide between. maybe you guys could give me your opinions. which design looks best?

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For me, the third one (offroad.jpg), hands down!

Is this a kit you're going to build or are you doing your own fabrication?
i am building it from scratch.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I like the first one from a profile stand point. Less cross wind vulnerable.
yeah, thats kinda what i was thinking, but it would have less room to move around in. so, i may want a taller inside area, so i dont bang my head if i set up.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Have you considered making it a pop-up tent trailer. It would help on the weight and the profile.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Keep the fact that you've got a single disc brake up front and only 900cc's of displacement in mind! Lots of folks pull trailers with a 900 but not typically anything as heavy as a camper trailer.

My favorite camper trailers are the kind that 'fold out' into a big platform and then you built up a canvas tent onto it. I'd be looking into a design like that!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Have you seen the one wheeled trailers? I'm kicking around the idea of making one to pull behind my 800. I love the simplicity. I think a good start for a home made one could be done with an old bicycle using the down tube.

My idea would be just having a trailer with a small platform that I could mount or bolt other things to it as I needed. This way it gets a lot more use. For instance just a basket or wagon for carrying things or use it as a mobile BBQ grill with ice chest for picnics. Or an tow trailer for a broke down HD :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
The third one is the coolest looking but the first one looks like it would be the most practical. I guess keep it as light as possible and I would think the 900 could handle it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You probably should hit up Whiting - he pulled a trailer with his 900 but it was much smaller than the camper trailers you're thinking about. My concern would be the braking. That's a lot of additional weight pushing a bike that doesn't have a lot of stoppers. I don't know that I'd want to do that myself.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You probably should hit up Whiting - he pulled a trailer with his 900 but it was much smaller than the camper trailers you're thinking about. My concern would be the braking. That's a lot of additional weight pushing a bike that doesn't have a lot of stoppers. I don't know that I'd want to do that myself.
Yup, the small cargo trailers no problem but the big camper trailers are another issue.

It has the power to pull it, the issue is the power to stop it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
From an aesthetic and wheel size point of view, I like the third one. Having said that, the weight concerns are a valid point.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Aliner makes a really lite 2 person camper, called the Alite, it's roughly 600lbs. Not sure if that's too heavy for a 900 to pull, but there's pics of smart cars hauling them...

http://www.aliner.com/media/pdf/Aliner_Consumer_Brochure.pdf

Page 9 has the details.
600lbs would be on the high end of a fully-loaded cargo trailer. Something an experienced rider on a 900 could probably handle; understanding the additional risks of course. If it were ME, I'd probably not exceed 60-MAYBE 65 when pulling it and keep some serious following distance, but I would consider pulling a 600lb trailer. Of course, that's 600lbs without any other gear stored ON the trailer.

Most of the cargo trailers are around 300lbs, then you add camping gear, tools, supplies, a cooler with ice, it adds up quick.

My one big concern would be tongue weight. How balanced is the trailer? If there is a lot of or not enough tongue weight, it could be pretty dangerous. The one advantage a cargo trailer has is that you can manipulate that value simply by shifting the load around.

·
Registered
775 Posts
In addition to not being able to stop quickly {a MAJOR issue} you will wear out the clutch,brakes,tires,suspension at an accelerated rate & eventually the transmission will have issues.
Other than those issues it's a great idea.
If you have a breakdown on the road you will need a very special tow truck to get you to a repair.

JJ

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
....Lots of folks pull trailers with a 900 but not typically anything as heavy as a camper trailer.
it wont be as heavy as you think. i am planning on building the whole thing out of aluminum. frame, sides, top, etc, all aluminum.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts