Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Okay so I was behind a VN900 today and I couldn't help but remind myself how hard it is to see that stock tail light when it's kind of overcast and nasty out. It's low and it's dim, and I'm looking for it!

So I think I'm going to convert the tail over to LED before the spring, but another thing I was thinking of, what if I stick an LED brake light on the sissy bar? Anyone done anything like that? Seems like there are some thin trailer LED brake lights that would fit there, find some way to hide the wires. What do you guys think? The idea being that it would be similar to a third brake light in a car, up and in the middle and closer to the eye level of the driver behind you.

Thoughts?

-John

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I was actually thinking up a little higher, light at the backrest. Gives me a lot of ideas though, and I think what he did could easily be adapted! (The idea being, getting the brake light closer to a drivers eye level)

I don't have/use a luggage rack, BUT his idea is more compatible with that if I did (and I didn't think about that when I was considering this, haha, guess that's why I asked you guys first). Hmm...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

But instead of brake lights, I wired mine as running lights to be seen all of the time.

IMHO the best thing you can add on for safety is more lights. Both as running lights (front, rear and sides using the legal colors) and brake lights. In this picture the right turn signal is on as well... took me about ten pictures to get a shot that wasn't mid-blink.

I used the red http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/electropods_led_oval_accent_lights/web1007026, and really wouldn't mind getting a set of ambers to place on the forward-sides of my bike, perhaps right where the reflectors are on my forks. I figure that would be a good location for being seen while stopped at intersections.

(You guys gotta get out of the practice of asking questions in a model-specific area that the general Vulcan population might have some very good answers for, or in this case examples of.)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Check out Custom Dynamics Night Rider Light - I mounted one on the Sissy Bar of my Sabre - It was a Running light and additional Brake light - Get the Non-Sequential one that flashes bright 5 times then goes solid once the brake is applied. It was the best 24 bucks I spent on the Sabre . . .

Looks like they are 30 bucks now - But get the Non-Sequential Flashing one . . .

http://www.customdynamics.com/knight_rider_led_light_bar.htm

Here it is high on the back of my Sabre (as you can see I liked lights on my ass) . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
How did you guys run the wires out of sight, I got the BackOff module and 6" LED that Sirius Joe put on his, but don't have a luggage rack to mount it so am wondering how to hide the wiring running down the sissy bar.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Erm... hiding the wiring... lol.

I gotta admit I didn't do much to hide it other than to zip tie the wires up the one leg. Hard to see, but noticeable if you're running a very clean looking bike.

You may be able to find some chromed plastic channel of some sort, maybe like this one [ame]http://www.amazon.com/CRL-Chrome-Plastic-Reflective-Channel/dp/B001C7QLWG[/ame] or a smaller version of it, to hide the wires in for the sissy-bar leg.

The back of my sissy-bar's pad is a chromed steel plate (facing rearward). I guess you could drill holes and wire it yourself, sticking wiring into the padding. I just ran mine down. But I did drill 4 holes, and tap them for a common #6 machine screw (small screws), to permanently mount the lights after the double-sided tape-pads starting giving up. Much more stable now.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I ran mine up the sissy bar leg as well - But once the wires reached the backrest, I loosened the backrest on the sissy bar and put the wires in between the backrest and the leg to hide them there . . . with proper zip ties and heat shrink, it looks fairly clean . . . If you wanted to really hide the wires, the legs are generally hollow - so a couple of well place holes and "Look ma no wires!"

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I ran mine up the sissy bar leg as well - But once the wires reached the backrest, I loosened the backrest on the sissy bar and put the wires in between the backrest and the leg to hide them there . . . with proper zip ties and heat shrink, it looks fairly clean . . . If you wanted to really hide the wires, the legs are generally hollow - so a couple of well place holes and "Look ma no wires!"
Man, if the tiny legs on mine are hollow, I'm not sure I'd trust having a passenger lean back on it if I drilled holes in it. But mine is an 800, yours may differ.

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
something like this... helmet light
haha yeah I was flipping through the JP cycles catalog and saw that.

Nah I think I'm gonna do the LED thing someone else mentioned. I do want a BRAKE light, I want people to KNOW I'm stopping, because, of course, they are way too close to begin with...

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Here is my brake light I put on my sissy bar on my Classic:

I hid the wiring in some stainless braided loom as you can see in the right of the picture.

The light I got off of eBay, it is a tail and brake light; and the loom I got off the internet somewhere. Can probably find where again if interested.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts