Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic and sold the V-Star to my little bro, he didn't want the sissy bar set-up so I figured I'd sell them to help buy a Kawi sissy bar, even though I didn't see any short sissy bars I liked for the Vulcan.

I'd bought the sidearms used and scratched for cheap, and a Harley Softail Heritage mini grab bar as well as a short sissy upright that fit into the V-Star sidearms, and fixed them up; they worked great for me.

I got to thinking, and noticed the holes on the V-Star sidearms matched where the sidearms on the Kawi sidearms go... :in-love:

It's not beautiful exactly, but anything bolted on top of the strut covers isn't going to look right to me anyway - just MHO.

Anyway, now all I have to do is figure out the details about spacers and bolt length, and adapters for the uprights I have (or just start from scratch and make new ones from hardware, I just need a cross-bar to keep stuff from sliding off the back, nobody's riding).

Sooooo, just for kicks, I'm wondering - has anybody found other sidearms that will work on the Vulcans without drilling extra holes?

·
Registered
126 Posts
When I bought my 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic and sold the V-Star to my little bro, he didn't want the sissy bar set-up so I figured I'd sell them to help buy a Kawi sissy bar, even though I didn't see any short sissy bars I liked for the Vulcan.

I'd bought the sidearms used and scratched for cheap, and a Harley Softail Heritage mini grab bar as well as a short sissy upright that fit into the V-Star sidearms, and fixed them up; they worked great for me.

I got to thinking, and noticed the holes on the V-Star sidearms matched where the sidearms on the Kawi sidearms go... :in-love:

It's not beautiful exactly, but anything bolted on top of the strut covers isn't going to look right to me anyway - just MHO.

Anyway, now all I have to do is figure out the details about spacers and bolt length, and adapters for the uprights I have (or just start from scratch and make new ones from hardware, I just need a cross-bar to keep stuff from sliding off the back, nobody's riding).

Sooooo, just for kicks, I'm wondering - has anybody found other sidearms that will work on the Vulcans without drilling extra holes?
I have been looking, but ended up getting a second chance offer on an ebay sissy bar I was bidding on (my max was like 50 and it won for like 100) and picked up a Kawi one for 60 bucks.

Anyway I would just drill some new holes, unless the arms just look like crap on your Vulcan. Then just put a little bead over the old holes and grind it a little bit with a dremel or die grinder (assuming its chrome) and retouch with some chrome paint. As long as you don't take off tons of the chrome grinding and welding (weld fast lol) you shouldn't be able to tell.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I bought a no name sissy bar that came without hardware. I searched online and found a list of the hardware from Cobra

2 - 8mm x 1.25mm x 35mm; 2 - 8mm x 1.25mm x 45 mm Button Head Bolts
2 - Long Spacers (.670”)
2 - Short Spacers (.305”)

I ended up getting the hardware from LOWES, since I could not find spacers that matched the specs exactly I ended up cutting the bolts about 1" longer then the spacers I found.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip if this doesn't work out, Votum - and congrats on the great deal!

Thanks for the hardware specs, truckie453 - woohoo, there are lots of Lowes around here!

Um, do the "plastic chrome" strut covers do anything other than aesthetically cover the struts, or would it be an option to remove them completely and bolt the sidearms with proper bolts/spacers directly to the struts? Just trying to consider all options. :]

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks for the tip if this doesn't work out, Votum - and congrats on the great deal!

Thanks for the hardware specs, truckie453 - woohoo, there are lots of Lowes around here!

Um, do the "plastic chrome" strut covers do anything other than aesthetically cover the struts, or would it be an option to remove them completely and bolt the sidearms with proper bolts/spacers directly to the struts? Just trying to consider all options. :]
no problem, hope it helps you. the plastic chrome is purely aesthetic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts