Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to look into adding a sissy bar/luggage rack to my VN900. The question I have is can I mount it on my bike while I still have my saddle bags mounted? It looks to me that they both mount into the same place on the back of the bike. Do I need to get a special mounting system or will it just magicly fit together?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
really doubt it. The 900 and the V2K utilize the 2 bolts that hold the chrome trim on, on your fender. More than likely you will have to take the bags off to mount sissy bar/luggage rack. First thing you need to do is lay it all out and see if you have the right hardware to mount it all. A lot of time when you start adding extras, the hardware for the bags will work for the bags but not the bags and bar, and so forth. Might involve a trip to the hardware store. But some times you get lucky. Just make sure they are not too long as to hit your tire inside your fender.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
buying a back rest / sissy bar is an art in itself ... make sure you have all the needed pieces, as suggested above, lay it all out first. You will have to remove the bags to install the brackets.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
buying a back rest / sissy bar is an art in itself ... make sure you have all the needed pieces, as suggested above, lay it all out first. You will have to remove the bags to install the brackets.
When I installed my sissy bar it came with all of the hardware and worked fine. When I purchased my saddle bag supports and bags the hardware worked for ONLY those, not both of them together. After mixing and matching bolts, washers and spacers I still had to go buy 2 bolts to make it all work.

I have come to find out most of the time the hardware companies send will work ONLY if you install that one part, but when you start adding other parts then its time to mix and match and possibly buy new.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
What bag/sissybar combo do you want? If you get creative you can probably make something work. A couple of years ago I scored a set of Saddlemen bags off craigslist and made my own hard mount system that worked with an MCE sissybar-the one with handgrips that sticks out a little from the fender. Just be prepared to make one or more trips to the hardware store.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Going through a few changes between saddlebags & trunk. Made few few trips to Lowe's (found they had the best selection of metric bolts). Great advice posted above, lay it all out, take your time (may reduce a few trips, unlike me with multiple trips). ;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
i used river road saddlebags, china saddlebag supports, china side plates, tall late model harley sissy bar, and a late model harley luggage rack. you would be suprised at how many parts that you can actually make work.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
i used river road saddlebags, china saddlebag supports, china side plates, tall late model harley sissy bar, and a late model harley luggage rack. you would be suprised at how many parts that you can actually make work.
WTF are those things on the side of the pillion seats????

<edit> nevermind. I just watched your video. I'd have to see the arm rests in practice but they look interesting if nothing else. You sure have got some nice shit on that classic. The windshield and stereo looks great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts