Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the 3" Baron tach and installed it today. It is not working yet -- I am having a few problems with the single fire adapter that came with it. Maybe somebody who dealt with it earlier can help me.

My questions:
1. Where do you install the single fire adapter? I would imagine it has to be near the ignition coils, right next to them under the big shiny cover or maybe under the tank? How to you secure it so it stays in place? I am concerned that right next to the ignition coils it can be quite hot in there. But how do I attach it there?

2. The tach itself needs to be grounded. I was looking for a good place to attach the loop at the end of the grounding wire around the ignition. I tried the screws that hold the coils but they won't get loose no matter how hard I tried.

So if you have the Baron tach (or any other one with the same setup), where did you put the adapter and how did you ground the tach?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Harleys shoot sparks to both plugs even when one cylinder is on exhaust stroke but our bike runs two pulses, one for each cylinder. The adapter for the tach plugs into the 12 volt source for both coils and then into the tach sense line combining both of the spark pulses, otherwise the tach designed around single fire would show half the rpm. My Cobra tach is desinged around the dual fire system and only plugs into one coil. You can ground on the bike frame by using one of the cable hold down clamps, Just unscrew the bolt, slip your wire on and screw it back down.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Harleys shoot sparks to both plugs even when one cylinder is on exhaust stroke but our bike runs two pulses, one for each cylinder. The adapter for the tach plugs into the 12 volt source for both coils and then into the tach sense line combining both of the spark pulses, otherwise the tach designed around single fire would show half the rpm. My Cobra tach is desinged around the dual fire system and only plugs into one coil. You can ground on the bike frame by using one of the cable hold down clamps, Just unscrew the bolt, slip your wire on and screw it back down.
Using the cable clamp for grounding was my plan too, but I ended up using one of the two bigger bolts that hold down the rear of the tank.

The tach now works fine but the visibility at night really sucks. :mad: The face is illuminated nicely but you can't see the needle very well at all.

I have the black-and-white version of the tach, maybe I should have gone for the color-LED one, but I felt it was too much and the plain B&W was a closer match to the speedometer.

I wanted a bigger-faced tach and this was the largest one I could find. Oh well... :(

I was wondering whether there is anything I can do to the needle (like a touch of some kind of glow-paint) that would make it more visible? The illumination is kinda "behind" it and while the face is clearly visible, you can see just a dark "ghost" of the needle, you see what I mean... You need to kind of look for it which is not very cool if you just want to glance down for a split second... :eek:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I grounded the Tach to the front bolt that the coils mount to. And yes it was very tight.

The single fire adapter was mounted to the same bracket on the back side via Velcro and a securing zip tie around the bracket/adapter. To do this, I complete removed the coil mounting bracket to gain access. The other bolt(s) were not as difficult to remove as I recall.

I used bullet connectors and split the wires to ease installation.

Made for a very tidy install.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I grounded the Tach to the front bolt that the coils mount to. And yes it was very tight.

The single fire adapter was mounted to the same bracket on the back side via Velcro and a securing zip tie around the bracket/adapter. The other bolts holding the bracket were not as hard to loosen as the front bolt if memory serves me correct.

I also used bullet connectors and split the wires to ease installation.

Made for a very tidy install.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tach.

I have the Baron tack on my 900 custom and it's lit up well at night. Matter of fact it's brighter than my speedo. I have the black on white tack as well.

·
Registered
742 Posts
same here... got the same tach and i stuck mine to the back of the bracket where the coils are. if you are worried about the heat, stick it to the back side of the chrome cover - i didn't do that only because if you want to take the cover off, you need to use a break-away connector on the green wire, otherwise it will hang off the side with the bullet connector?! :)

grounding - i went to the small ground already under the tank on the fuel pump plate, just had to use a smaller eye clamp than what Baron's provided.

WORKS GREAT! and i agree it is lit up much brighter than the speedo! i like using RPM rather than speed when shifting & riding.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
same here... got the same tach and i stuck mine to the back of the bracket where the coils are. if you are worried about the heat, stick it to the back side of the chrome cover - i didn't do that only because if you want to take the cover off, you need to use a break-away connector on the green wire, otherwise it will hang off the side with the bullet connector?! :)

grounding - i went to the small ground already under the tank on the fuel pump plate, just had to use a smaller eye clamp than what Baron's provided.

WORKS GREAT! and i agree it is lit up much brighter than the speedo! i like using RPM rather than speed when shifting & riding.
As far as the heat goes, the adapter seems to be built to withstand some heat - at least the temps you would normally expect a few inches away from the cylinders...

I ended up attaching it from the other side of the plate (away from the cylinders) kinda above the coils.

I was looking at the fuel pump ground myself but it seemed so tiny that I was worried I'd mess it up. How did you get to it? Did you have to tilt the tank or take it off completely. It is really tight from underneath...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Can you provide picture of the installation by the coil?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Can you provide picture of the installation by the coil?
no real need for pics... i took mine off so i can't now?!?!

but the install is easy... you can use velcro or 3M tape and stick it to the back of the chrome cover... GOOD IDEA - make a quick connect on the solid wire (uncut one) otherwise if you ever have to tinker with it you will be having the cover just hanging there. i used a bullet connector and electrical paste in the connection. then the other wires were easy - just follow the directions baron's give you for the two to the NEG sides and one to the POS for power.

g/l

EDIT - I did use the fuel pump ground... works well, just add a closed loop connector on the end of the wire and viola!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts