Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for my 2013 Voyager, but as far as I can tell this will work with other-year Voyagers and Vaqueros. The only difference on the Vaquero is where the final connector leads to (I imagine a saddlebag).

I recently installed a fused, relay connection to the trunk of my Voyager to allow me to connect additional electrical items as well as the ability to hard-wire certain things like a phone and GPS charger. I will try and go step-by step.

The first thing I needed to do was make the wiring harness. I can post a parts list if anyone wishes, but if you don't want to go through the hassle of making one yourself I highly recommend Eastern Beaver (Home). I have used 2 of their harnesses in the past on other bikes, and basically just copied what I previously purchased for this setup.

STEP 1- Finding a Location for the Relay

I decided to install the relay in the toolkit space, just above the battery. The old kit is a bit of junk anyways, and I keep a set of tools in my saddlebag so it made the best sense for me. The only issue I faced, was how to run the wiring through it. Basically, I drilled 3 holes; one for the relay wire- one for the wiring to the battery and one for the wiring run to the trunk. This is a pic of the initial placement after I drilled the holes and connected the wiring to the battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
STEP 2- Connecting the Relay Wire

I looked for a close-by connection that would show 12v when the ignition was on, and found a connector right next the battery housing on the right side of the bike. I am guessing it's a power source for the heated seat, but I am unsure. All I know, is that it works lol. I crimped a connector on the relay wire, stuck it through the hole I drilled in the old tool kit space, connected it to the plug and covered it up with electrical tape.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
STEP 3- Running the Cable to the Trunk

This was the easiest part. All I did was follow the existing path of the antenna and brake light to the trunk, and stuck the cable through the same opening. I did have to remove the trunk plate though. I ended up replacing the pop-rivets with ones that screw tight, in case I needed to remove the plate again in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Step 4- Adding Accessories

This pic shows my cigarette plug installed. I have, since then installed a fuse-block instead so I can power more than one item.

That's about it. It really wasn't too difficult. The hardest part was trying to figure out where to initially install the relay connection. Since the toolkit was right over the battery, it made the choice pretty simple for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should finally add, that the wiring harness I made was copied after this one-

Eastern Beaver sells theirs under "Fuse Panel Wiring Kits"

I also have no connection with Eastern Beaver, and get no compensation for their endorsement.

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
Here's mine... There are accessory connectors under the seat, so I just plugged it into those using crimped on bullet connectors. There's a fuse in line, so I don't see any issues. I mounted the holder by taking the plate out of the front of the trunk and bolting it through, and the USB outlet is nicely out of the way of any luggage and at the same time easily accessible when required in the front right corner of the trunk.

If I had to do this again, there are similar looking but dual USB outlets now available on Ebay for cheap, with free shipping out of China. I used to have another single one in the front left cubby, but took it out recently to give me more room in there - I never used it much anyway, and the one in back is easier to use.

The wiring is tucked nicely out of the way under the front ledge of the trunk tray.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Very good write-up. For folks like me with little to no electrical knowledge, how does a relay help when installing accessories?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Glen,

Basically, a relay is just an electric switch. What it does, is allow one to connect the main power to the battery instead of from a source that is tied to the ignition. For example, let's say I want to be able to use a small DC-powered air compressor or an inverter to run some AC-powered stuff. If I connected the power to an existing circuit by tapping off of it, I can't guarantee I wouldn't blow a fuse....or worse fry the wiring harness. By installing a relay, the power goes straight off the battery on a 30a circuit and only comes on when the ignition is running. All I have to do is make sure the engine is running and charging the battery.

Jer

·
Registered
214 Posts
IF I remember correctly, my 2015 Voyager got a fused and ignition powered battery source under the seat straight from the factory. The cables has been right of the battery looking in driving direction.

Perhaps or could be some differences between europe and US models ?

Cu,
Sven

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
IF I remember correctly, my 2015 Voyager got a fused and ignition powered battery source under the seat straight from the factory. The cables has been right of the battery looking in driving direction.

Perhaps or could be some differences between europe and US models ?

Cu,
Sven
That is on all Voyagers/Vaqueros, I think. It is limited to a total of 20A combined for that source, the fairing power outlet and the aux power inside the left side of the fairing. Maybe that is why he didn't use it, or he already is using it for something else?

For those interested in being able to power more than one device, a fuse block is wired up pretty much the same way, except that the triggered power goes into the fuse block, thru an appropriate fuse and out to the outlet or device being powered. I mounted my fuse block inside the right side cover.

You can see (Oops, no you can't. The share didn't work. Sorry. :( ) the ground strip I installed to the left, too. The labels are for the trailer pig tail (the isolated controller is the black box behind the fuse box - 5 amp fuse), and for not one, but 2 Wolo horns (15 amp fuses each). Still room for 3 more devices. The fuse box is rated for 100 amps - way over what I would ever put thru it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sabre is correct. I didn't use it because I wanted a separate run, and I didn't want to trace the harness to see what gauge the wiring is throughout it. I was paranoid I would fry it the first time I tried connecting an inverter. Actually, I use it for powering the relay lol.

I ultimately did what Sabre did as well- installed a fuse block and ground strip. I then connected the cigarette charger to them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts