Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New rider and just got a Vulcan S.

What do you guys do with your helmets if you stop and go into eat? I plan to order a helmet lock when I schedule my first service, but I was wondering what most people do with them if they don't ride something with a luggage compartment they can put it in? Just take it in with you?

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
I often bring it with me and I know that it is paranoia from living in NYC. But, when I feel like I'm in a fairly safe place and no one is going to urinate in my helmet (<-- the irrational fear) I have a thick security cable with two loops at the end and a carabiner with a combination lock that I use to secure the helmet to the bike. When I go to a place where there are a lot of other bikers, I just take the communication devise off of my helmet and stick it on a mirror. Strength in numbers.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Typically I just hang my helmet on the sissy bar. Most times I can't even see it from where I am sitting, so I suppose I am too trusting in that respect. You can buy a helmet lock that attaches to the handle bar end, or you can hang it on the mirror or carry it with you. Problem is, when you go to a cafeteria style business now your hands are full and you still have the helmet to carry.
Usually a helmet is not messed with, it would just depend on the neighborhood where you stopped to eat .......

I would rather have the helmet stolen than for someone to come by and cut the strap, rendering the helmet useless, since it cannot be strapped on then.
Get a medium to large backpack and store your helmet there and sling the backpack on when you dismount to go shopping, to eat, etc.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
My bags will hold my helmet however I just put it on the sissy bar. I have never had it messed with.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I put mine on my sissy bar and use the strap to hold it on
I strap it of for 2 reasons
1: no one can just walk by and take it off, the would have to spend a few seconds undoing the strap. No a huge deterrent but something.
2: and the main reason is so it does not fall off my bike

I have never had a helmet stolen

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
I use a short gun cable lock that i keep in my jacket picket. I have a sena bluetooth on my helmet so a little protection can't hurt. Usually turn mr hemet so the sena unit is not easily visible. Lock it to the handle bars.

Cable Gun Lock 9" Length Trigger Pistol Shotgun Rifle Childsafe Lock Keyed Alike | eBay
+1 on using a gun cable lock. Have used one for years with no issues.

Of course now that our 1700 Nomad has been triked we have a large trunk to hold helmets... sometimes fellow riders helmets too.

·
Premium Member, BOTM Winner, June 2016
639 Posts
I haven't done a lot of long distance riding yet, so I usually wear a half helmet around town most of the time for 30mph and less riding for chores and such. I hang it down on the right foot peg in case the wind kicks up so it's not hanging off the handlebar and clattering off the tank.

If I go any further, I wear a full helmet and take it in with me because it has the wireless hooked to it.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
After having a helmet stolen years ago I have a 60cm( 2 ft) bicycle cable that I use lock my helmet and/ or jacket ( thru the arm) to the sissy bar if I park where I can't see the bike. Peace of mind for $10. Sena gets locked in the pannier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts