Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

so I have a really silly question - but what is the equivalent of "pedal to the metal" on the bike? I am concerned about the throttle cable breaking.
Mind you, this is not a question about the everyday use, but I do wonder how far can I safely twist the throttle in sketchy situations, to get all the power to get out of it?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hi,

so I have a really silly question - but what is the equivalent of "pedal to the metal" on the bike? I am concerned about the throttle cable breaking.
Mind you, this is not a question about the everyday use, but I do wonder how far can I safely twist the throttle in sketchy situations, to get all the power to get out of it?
No such thing as a silly question ,believe it is called WOT,wouldn't think it would be a problem ,I just down shift to pass but get ur point:smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Grifen -- revrider's right...in my world, the only silly question is the one you don't ask! In your case, I hope I never find myself in a situation where I have to find out how far I can twist the throttle before the cable breaks! :surprise:

Victor :nerd:

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
Welcome, Grifen!

Throttle cables consist of tight windings of steel strands. Unless there is an area of weakened integrity somewhere...rust...severed strands within the winding...the cable is extremely strong for the amount of tensile it sustains between throttle grip and carb/fuel injection component.

Simply twisting your throttle to max is not going to severe it...IF...the braids are healthy.

Regular intervals of white grease/lithium shots to lubricate the cable within the cable housing is always good practice. :good:

P.S. LOVE Rangemaster728's post...:laugh2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, so to conclude, I shouldn't worry about overtwisting it. I was a bit afraid it might break or something, as there is no limit how far it can go, but I guess natural position of the wrist, and how far it can twist is natural way of limiting it :) now that I think of it, kinda makes sense :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Thanks guys, so to conclude, I shouldn't worry about overtwisting it. I was a bit afraid it might break or something, as there is no limit how far it can go, but I guess natural position of the wrist, and how far it can twist is natural way of limiting it :) now that I think of it, kinda makes sense :)
Are you saying that it will continue to spin freely for 360+ degrees?
That really doesn't sound right to me. Any 500 owners confirm this?
I bet if you twist the throttle gently with the engine off; you'll find a stopping point.

WOT is Wide open throttle, there should be no problems with snapping your grip to WOT.
Whiskey throttle is when something causes you grip to unitentionally hit WOT; those funny home videos of people hanging on for dear life are all going whiskey throttle. :)

Like Buskman said, keep it lubed and you wont have a problem with the cable.

Report back about finding the stop on the throttle.

Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bet if you twist the throttle gently with the engine off; you'll find a stopping point.
I do not know, and never dared to try :) will try to with the engine off and report back

·
Registered
182 Posts
I can confirm that the twist grip does not turn 360 degrees.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I learn something every day. I'd never heard the term "Whiskey throttle", much less know what it meant. Funny! Thanks Scott.

WOT is Wide open throttle, there should be no problems with snapping your grip to WOT.
Whiskey throttle is when something causes you grip to unitentionally hit WOT; those funny home videos of people hanging on for dear life are all going whiskey throttle. :)

Like Buskman said, keep it lubed and you wont have a problem with the cable.

Report back about finding the stop on the throttle.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Back to the OP's original question, an equivalent to "pedal to the metal" might be "ride it like you stole it".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, folks, thanks for all the replies :)

It does make me feel good. I guess I was scared since as a kid I broke the cable on a poor old jalopy, but I guess it was more due to age and condition of the bike than my influence.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts