Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vulcaneers,
I'm selling out. I bought a HD Ultra Classic this week and will be eventually selling the classic(?). I've done numerous 800 mile days on the Vulcan and didn't know what beating I was taking until this week. no doubt the 1700 will show the HD the taillights without straining. it's lots faster but I found precision in the ultra that I've been trying to build into the Kaw for a little over 3 years now.
I've done 44 states over the last 10years and all of them on a metric. believe me I'm not a "Harley" guy. I don't require that lifestyle where I have to dress up like Harley the Clown just to ride. I don't care about riding HD shop to HD shop and qualify that as making me a biker. I'm a little excited since if I do keep the Vulcan to see where I may go with it as a project. has anyone ever chopped one? are there triple trees for extending the rake? should I get some big ol' fat apes and bob it? I'll send updates if I decide to keep it.

ride hard ride safe ride often,
Jimmy D

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Natural progression. Before you know it, you'll be decked out in Harley gear and only riding from HD shop to HD shop (can't get too far from those repair mechanics ). Seriously though, congrats. You'll enjoy the hell out of that bike.

They do make a rake kit for the 1700, it's relatively new. I prefer the look of a big wheel but no rake. It's reminiscent of a sport bike with cruiser attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Next time your around Harley riders, notice how at low speeds they turn their foot out so the balls of the feet don't touch the floor boards. That's because the vibration is so bad. Enjoy your ride, but keep the Vulcan. You may come back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW! OUCH! a little backhand in both responses. I thought the HD guys were the haters. (LOL)
I'm gonna sum it up now.
I rode my Vulcan over 37,000 miles in 3 years. I've been coast to coast on it. I tried to make it a keeper but didn't care for the hot running, constant belt screaming unless I tweaked constantly, and really didn't like the sound of running over a garbage can every time I shifted.
shall I continue? of course not. It's not what we ride it's "that" we ride!

lots of love,
Jimmy D

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I hope you know I was joking. I have a friend who just made the jump and the ultra is a gorgeous bike.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
always light hearted. no blood no foul. I spout so much smack I have to take it like a man when it comes back to me!

Jimmy D

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I'm always worried cause the Hd guys are a little sore about the jokes.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!

I was looking at the Street Glide Special, and then found the Vaquero ... guess which I'm going with? (I already have a 2005 Vulcan 800 Classic).

The Harleys are nice bikes, enjoy it and keep the rubber side down!

-John

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
I think all the Harley clothes happen while your asleep. You just wake up with something new on.

·
Registered
394 Posts
WOW! OUCH! a little backhand in both responses. I thought the HD guys were the haters...
Too funny that a guy would make a post like yours on what is obviously a Vulcan-centric forum and then complain, even in jest, about what were extremely mild and good-natured responses. Go ahead and try the opposite on a Hardley forum and see what true haters are all about. Just be careful about revealing your location within a few hundred miles or so, as they'll hunt you down and kill you, given the opportunity. :wink2:

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
We're all a little different. Two years ago I was all set to buy an Ultra Classic. Until I rode one. Then I rode a Road Glide; and I liked that better. Decided I wanted that, but keeping my options open. Saw the Indian. Wow! Until I rode one. N.O.P.E. All the poise of a chinese scooter but with a lower quality inner fairing than a chinese scooter (they've improved since I rode those first demo models; but I'm not in the market anymore). Rode the Vaquero; and bought it. 33% more suspension travel than the Harley, just as smooth as the Harley on the highway without the nasty paint shaker at idle. (I rode the Kawi at a Harley dealership and they were offended, actually offended, when I asked why the Harley has to be so obnoxious at idle if it isn't any smoother than the rigid-mounted Kawasaki?)

But the things that bother you don't bother me, so that's probably a part of it. The Harley clanked into first gear too if I recall, so that's kind of the same. I have been a part of this forum for years and have seen the cycle of "the belt is too tight, I'm going to loosen it" followed by "I can't get this squeaking to stop, gee, what on earth could be causing this?". Tires on my bikes are always replaced at the shop and they set the alignment and belt tension per the manual. I have stock pipes, a quiet bike, and I've never heard the belt squeak once. I don't know if that describes you, but, I've not experienced it myself; so that's all I can say.

The Vaquero isn't perfect, but it's one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. It's not nearly as smooth as a Goldwing. For pure comfort, there's none other. If you've ridden a GL1800, you'll never call another motorcycle, regardless of brand, 'smooth' again. But the Goldwing also has a cramped cockpit, and; well, I think I've got a few more years left before I'm ready to give up that much 'form' to get a little more 'function'. Yes, I'll readily admit that I didn't buy the most comfortable bike I rode (I did test ride the GL1800) largely because I didn't like the style. Sue me! Ha! The Vaquero was an excellent blend of form and function and comfortable for me. I love it! But I totally get why someone would like the Ultra Classic. While I had some beefs with it, I would've bought it (Well, the Road Glide probably), in fact, I DEFINITELY would've bought it, had it not been for the Vaquero.

I never rode a 1700 classic; I knew I wanted a full-fairing touring bike. But it's cool that you've got one, because I think you can do a lot more with that than you can a Vaquero/Voyager in terms of bobbing it out, etc. Good luck! Enjoy that new Ultra!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts