Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 900 Classic has the fast flasher problem, of which I have attempted to fix with all the solutions I have seen on this forum. I may have missed some; that's why I'm posting on here. I have cleaned the housings, bulbs, added a thin layer of dielectric grease to all of the bulbs/housings, replaced all the bulbs only to still have the problem. My next step is to replace the stock front flasher housings as they aren't easily disassembled and I assume that is where the problem lies. I was wanting to replace them with a similar style housing but move them to the handlebars. Seems easily feasible, but I've not done it before and don't know what type of housings are decent/work best with vulcans wiring. My TLDR plays in with my novel of a post lol

TLDR: What fixes are there for fast flashing signal lights? Has replacing the relay worked for anyone? If I were to use an aftermarket signal housing (assumedly only for the front, but potentially the rear) what brand and model works well and has a good reputation?

Thanks for any help, guys!

·
Registered
918 Posts
So my 900 Classic has the fast flasher problem, of which I have attempted to fix with all the solutions I have seen on this forum. I may have missed some; that's why I'm posting on here. I have cleaned the housings, bulbs, added a thin layer of dielectric grease to all of the bulbs/housings, replaced all the bulbs only to still have the problem. My next step is to replace the stock front flasher housings as they aren't easily disassembled and I assume that is where the problem lies. I was wanting to replace them with a similar style housing but move them to the handlebars. Seems easily feasible, but I've not done it before and don't know what type of housings are decent/work best with vulcans wiring. My TLDR plays in with my novel of a post lol

TLDR: What fixes are there for fast flashing signal lights? Has replacing the relay worked for anyone? If I were to use an aftermarket signal housing (assumedly only for the front, but potentially the rear) what brand and model works well and has a good reputation?

Thanks for any help, guys!
Usually if your signals are fast flashing, one of them is bad. I had a similar case on my 900. The front left bulb was bad. If I hit a bump just right, that bulb would cause fast flashing for the left side only. What set it apart from the others was the lack of running light when it flashed. If I tapped on the housing, eventually, the bulb would correct itself. I eventually bought new bulbs all around and haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was the most recent thing I did, still no luck. There is a problem elsewhere in the system.

·
Registered
155 Posts
So, all of the lights are working properly when you turn the signals on? And you have not replaced the bulbs with LED, they're still the old-fashioned incandescent bulbs? What about the bulb in the dash to indicate they are flashing, is that working also?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All of my lights are working, yes. All four flashers (both flashing and constant on front like they're supposed to), the indicator, headlight (which I replaced with an LED after the problem began), tail and brake lights are all functioning. The only bulb I have replaced as LED is my headlight, and like I said the problem started before that. I have read somewhere that if I were to replace my signal lights with LEDs, that I would have to replace the relay but I don't think the headlight is in that same relay. . . although that is just an assumption. From your signature, Seawolf_il, I see you have modified your lights - how well have these worked out for you? I'm not against upgrading the rest of my lights to LEDs, but I don't want to go that route if it doesn't correct the problem. . . or until I find out the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I added LED running lights to my rear lollipops, you can read about it in the link in my signature to the thread. But it wont help you here, it would make things worse. My educated guess, without having a multimeter on your bike to confirm anything, is that you have a bad bulb (and by "bad" I mean the resistance across the filament is too low, it may still blink but it might be noticeably brighter than the others) or you have a frayed wire somewhere in the system anywhere between the distro panel under the seat to either harness running front or rear to the turn signals themselves.

Since your lights work fine, you may want to forgo the troubleshooting of looking at 20 feet of wiring harnesses. To fix the symptoms you could install an electronic flasher relay under the seat. That would stop the hyperflash. To get to the Turn Signal Relay, you take off the seat, take off the Tool Box, and it's on the left side towards the front. It looks like any other 12V relay (a black square) and would cost around $10-$12 at any local autoparts store.

·
Registered
13 Posts
cloverasx,
I'm new to the topic AND the Forum, but thought I'd try to provide an idea or two.

Have you checked your battery cable connections? Are they clean and tight? Also, check the connection to and from your starter relay if you can get to it easily. This will remedy a multitude of electrical/electronic issues.
If I'm not mistaken, the turn signal circuit "pulses" the Ground connection to your bulbs. If you have a Volt/Ohm meter, verify that you have a good ground path from your bulb base/socket to frame ground, for each bulb. Sometimes a circuit will "borrow" the signal it needs via an unintended path, a "sneak" circuit.

I see from a Bike Bandit part search that your signal relay is not inexpensive. However, if you thought you might replace some or all of your incandescent turn signal bulbs with LED's, and didn't want to use ballast resistors to defeat a hyperflash, you could use a solid-state relay, similar to this:
Search for "Bestpriceam® Motorcycle Motorbike 2 Pin 12v LED Turn Indicator" on Amazon.

A few advantages:
1. A much less expensive test part (if you have a friend with a similar bike, they might loan you their OEM relay to test with.)
I have used two of these personally, with good results. Currently using one on my Voyager, previously, two on a Goldwing.
Cheap enough to carry a spare.
2. You can leave all your turn signal bulbs incandescent, mix in LED's, or convert all to LED if you wish, and use the solid-state unit.

Possible disadvantage:
1. If your bike has an auto-cancel feature (my Goldwing and the Voyager did/does), it will most likely no longer function.
I have had enough bikes without, or that the cancel time was shorter than I cared for, that I have become accustomed to self-canceling my signals, so this is not a deal breaker for me. I'd rather have the benefit of the LED's.

Best I can tell from a few searches, this unit would plug directly in place of your OEM, though it has a pigtail, and won't likely attach to the OEM holder. Can't guarantee it will solve your problem, but might be a handier (pricewise) testing option. YMMV

Best Wishes! Let us know what the fix is.
mohpossum

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the late reply guys, I've been stupid busy recently. Thanks for your answers; I'm going to a couple part stores tomorrow to see if they have any in stock and if they don't, I'll go with the one you suggested on Amazon or Bike Bandit, mohpossum. My turn signals don't self-cancel (I didn't know that was a thing until a few months ago lol), so that's of no concern to me. I agree that yanking and inspecting the entire wiring harness would be a long, tedious, and possibly moot process, seawolf, so I'll opt for an easier workaround if at all possible. . . especially since this seems to be a common occurrence with the 900s. Can't remember if I said it in an earlier post, but I'm not opposed to going all LED as they do look really nice and a daymaker headlamp is also quite appealing to me. I love being able to see things so I don't, you know. . . die lol

I'll let you guys know if that works, and/or if I learn anything new about the problem!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FINALLY the electronic LED flasher relay I ordered off Amazon came in and fixed the problem for the most part. Odd thing is, now instead of hyperflashing I have the left side flashing at the same time (front/rear/instrument panel indicator) and the front flashes bright and goes back to dim (but on), but the right side flashes front and rear at the opposite time and the instrument panel indicator flashes independently of the other two; the other strange thing is the right side flashes bright and then off instead of returning to dim in between flashes. After I reset the signal, all the lights return to standard running brightness so I am thoroughly satisfied for a $10 fix lol. Thanks everyone for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts