Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found the side stand spring on the garage floor; not sure why it became loose enough to come off, since attempting to replace it has defeated me. I tried the penny trick - bend the spring to add enough pennies between coils to extend the spring, then remove them after hooking the spring on the bike. I was unable to get more than a couple of pennies in and even wound up damaging the spring by pounding in a flat blade screwdriver to twist the coils apart. I have ordered another one.

The mounting pins face inward instead of outward, so I don't think brake spring pliers is going to do the trick either. I'd appreciate any other suggestions.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well, I'll admit I have never removed/replaced the side stand spring. It looks to me like the spring in under less tension when the side stand is up, rather than down. If you have a bike jack to support the bike upright, that sure looks like it would be the way to go. Maybe, if you don't have a jack, get a buddy to sit on the bike and support it, while you flip the side stand up and try to install the spring that way. Make sure the "long" end of the spring is towards the bike frame and the "short" end is closer to the tip of the side stand.

Let us know how you do with this.

·
Registered
235 Posts
With the spring down insert pennies in the coil then stabilize the bike and simple raise the kickstand. The spring will come right off. install the spring by inserting pennies in the coil then install with the kickstand up. When you put the kickstand down remove the pennies and that's it. I would check the bolt hole and make sure it is not elongated which happens when they don't get lubed every couple weeks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the spring off the bike, it has been all but impenetrable with the pennies. I'm not able to bend it to one side or pull it apart to push the pennies between the coils. The double-coiled design of the Kaw spring is making it especially difficult.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts