Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a vulcan 800... posted a couple times so far... while gettin my safety done.. they told me my sidestand kill switch was missing.. which makes it so you cant take off in first with your sidestand down... ive read in a few other areas that ppl have had issues with these things malfunctioning... anyone else comment on this as a big issue.. should i remove it.. as im guessin the person who owned mine prior had done... any comments would be great..

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
No issues with mine, but I would get another asap.

·
Registered
333 Posts
IF too much weight is put on the sidestand, the plunger into the safety switch can get bend and cause it to malfunction. This happened to me and it bent and broke off the tab on the sidestand that activates the switch when the stand is down.

It is a good feature and I would not want to do without it. If you are careful and never get distracted, you may never need it - but, if you can avoid it, you don't want to ever take off with the stand down. When functioning properly, this CAN NOT happen.

I would get a new one (but make sure your stand's "tab" is still properly in tact, or switch replacement will be money for nothing). It only cost me about $40.00 and was a snap to install. I was lucky because a guy I work with has the equipment and expertise to weld the stainless steel tab back onto the sidestand. It's now re-enforced and better than OEM.

Also, it's a good idea to periodically remove the little rubber boot and clean & lube the plunger. A little WD40 will do the trick and keep it smoothly gliding in & out.

FYI - my state's vehicle inspection does not seem to check this, but every state is different.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well im in Canada ontario to be exact.. and the MTO.. vs DOT down in the states... there odd about there safety stuff... thanks for the advice.. that is interesting about the harleys not having it... i may bring that up to the dealer... sounds more like there tryin to soak me for some cash.... but i guess its best to have the safety features the factory would have put on there..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Guess I'm just a little old school, but have had numerous motorcycles all my life and the only one that ever had one is the Vulcan that I have now..

·
Registered
265 Posts
Harley Davidson not only doesn't have the side stand switch the don't have a clutch switch either. They can be cranked over in gear with the clutch out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine is inoperative and in fact did not know it was supposed to have one before reading this thread. Bought it used, no manual. In California we don't have safety inspections at all, which I don't understand considering how anal the state is with smog inspections. (Fortunately smog checks are not required on motorcycles.)

Reactions: TRV185

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just bypassed mine today as the bolts holding it to the frame had sheared off. Was easier than trying to fix that mess. My '05 Speedmaster had one also. I too live in Ontario and have never had them check one on an inspection.

·
Registered
143 Posts
they dont check for them in nc either, i dont see why they would anywhere but some state's regs are dumber than others, just take it off and bypass it. the less bullshit switches you have the less chance for problems. to me its second nature, when you sit the bike up you put the stand up first thing. if a rider cant get that to be a habit, whats he doing on a bike in the first place? just my opinion.

·
Registered
198 Posts
LOL I agree. I just rode a 2003 HD 1200 Sportster this weekend to help a friend move it and it did not have a kickstand switch or a clutch switch. If a person doesn't have their head in the game you could start that bike in gear and on the kick stand...

·
Registered
984 Posts
Side stand switches and clutch switches ARE for your safety.
I have a 25 year old bike with 32,000 miles and have zero issues with either switch.
Now I could live without the side stand switch, but I have had it kill the motor once or twice when I forgot to put it up.
I have no problem with it.
But just like people that just NEED to change out their exhaust, some think these switches need to go - until the govt wont give you an OK to ride!!! HA!

·
Registered
3 Posts
they dont check for them in nc either, i dont see why they would anywhere but some state's regs are dumber than others, just take it off and bypass it. the less bullshit switches you have the less chance for problems. to me its second nature, when you sit the bike up you put the stand up first thing. if a rider cant get that to be a habit, whats he doing on a bike in the first place? just my opinion.
A person should not drink and drive (ride) either, but they do. Also people have a lot on their minds these days. Easy to make a mistake, riding requires undivided attention. I have made mistakes riding my motorcycles, lived through them all, sometimes with ruined underwear. My guardian Angel must have been sober and on duty. Stayed shiny side up everytime though with some massive adrenaline dumps. Even in a parking lot getting started, mistakes can be made.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I learned to ride dirt bikes.
When I learned to ride street bikes we didn't have that stuff, so i learned to...
pull in the clutch, rock the bike and get it in neutral. Take it off the kickstand and kick start the bike.
sit on it, put it in 1st and ease out the clutch.
then when i had bikes with starters?
get the bike off the kickstand, both feet on the ground. Pull in the clutch and hit the starter.
check for neutral before letting the clutch out. got to get off to let it warm up or go pee? Kickstand down
before you get off.
My 99 800 has a kickstand switch, it don't work. It has a working clutch switch. Never had an issue.
The neutral safety switch works, but by habit I pull in the clutch anyway.
Just know and remember what it is you are doing.
Also, I will NEVER start my bike if I'm not on it (wouldn't want it going anywhere without me)

Oh, and one night I broke the clutch cable on my Suzuki 1100E. 25 miles from my house.
Started the bike in first, shifted gears at the right RPMs with no clutch all the way home.
Just time the traffic lights correctly, ha!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts