Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about ready to call my 2007 900 Classic an "adventure" bike rather than a Cruiser because there seems to be an adventure almost eveytime I ride it!

The latest adventure was yesterday while on a ride with the wife.

About 40 miles into the ride the engine suddenly shut off. Coasted to a stop, put it in neutral, and it started right up but when I put it into first gear the engine quit.
I moved the sidestand up and down a few times and it went into gear and all was well.
On the way home it did the same thing so I went though my routine and all was well again.
When I got home I sprayed some lube on the sidestand pivot and have not tried it since.
How can the sidestand switch (if that"s what it is) cut the bike off when the bike is moving?
Was going to take the switch off like I have done many times before until I looked at my shop manual and found out the switch is in the alternator cover.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like to get rid of the switch.
Has anybody done this?
How bout cut the wires on the side stand and connect them together like I hav edone on many bikes before?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would like to get rid of the switch.
Has anybody done this?
How bout cut the wires on the side stand and connect them together like I hav e done on many bikes before?
That switch is there to prevent an incident that happened to a HS classmate of mine. Back in the 80's before the switches were required, his stand came down, unknown to him. He went into a left curve and the stand struck the road. Because they are over center they dont just fold up, the dig in. This caused the bike to go down at 55mph. The resultant rollout, broke his neck and paralyzed him from the neck down, despite a full helmet. That Federal law is a result of his accident and suit - That is the last thing you want to bypass in my opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts