Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the forum, having recently picked up a 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom. I'm already loving this bike as it's fuel-injected and handles so much better than the Road Star 1700 I had previously.

I plan on turning this into a bobber on the cheap and picked up this side-mount license plate off amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PC0AYU. I thought it would mount fairly easily but now I'm having second thoughts. For those of you out there that have a side-mount license plate, did it install on the inside of the swing-arm or outside, just under the axle bolt? I assumed inside but I don't think it will have the clearance over the pulley bolts.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What alot of people do is buy a kit which is basically a long ass bolt that goes all the way thru the hollow axle. Problem with those is you have to flip your axle around and then cant use the cotter pin to hold the castle nut in place. What I did was get a 3" bolt small enough to fit in the axle but big enough to get stuck in there, and cut the head off. I then stuck the cut end into the axle and jammed it in the hole and used a dead blow hammer to make sure it was good and stuck and put a couple little tak welds to hold it in there. Cost about a buck and has been holding up with no probs for a while.

·
Registered
53 Posts
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13256
Heres a link to some info on my build. It kind of shows what I did but I would have to take it apart to get better pics. basically if you go look at your bike there is a hole that goes all the way thru the axle. I went to home depot and bought a bolt & nut that was either 1/2" or 5/8" and cut the head off of the bolt (the part the wrench goes on) and jammed it in and put a little weld on it to make sure its in there permanently. Then I put my bracket on and put a nut with some blue lock tight and thats it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. Ok that makes more sense. Nice innovative solution. If I had a clue about welding and access to a welder I might give it a try. ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I put mine on the outside of the swing arm. I can get my cotter pin in just fine. My plate came with the mount and the plate mount separate. I did have to drill new holes and move the plate mount further to the outside to clear the pulley and bolts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts