Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
The chip seal roads here are taking a big toll on my drive belt. My bike is a 2010 Nomad 1700. The stealer wants #461.25 for a new belt and I am hoping to find one a lot cheaper.
The service manual says the belt is a GATES 139T, and I have read other places that it is a carbon fiber belt and that the carbon fiber belts are 40% stronger then the kevlar belts.
I am hoping to get the Gates belt number from the belt, but my last damage tore up about 1/2 of the top layer of the belt where the numbers were. I am hoping someone here with a 1700 can give me the numbers from the top of the drive belt.
Thanks,
James

·
Registered
644 Posts
Gates poly-chain is a very good belt. I put one on a Road Star that I changed pulleys on. Less than half the cost of the Kawasaki belt.

·
Registered
434 Posts
here's your belt

Hi everyone,
The chip seal roads here are taking a big toll on my drive belt. My bike is a 2010 Nomad 1700. The stealer wants #461.25 for a new belt and I am hoping to find one a lot cheaper.
The service manual says the belt is a GATES 139T, and I have read other places that it is a carbon fiber belt and that the carbon fiber belts are 40% stronger then the kevlar belts.
I am hoping to get the Gates belt number from the belt, but my last damage tore up about 1/2 of the top layer of the belt where the numbers were. I am hoping someone here with a 1700 can give me the numbers from the top of the drive belt.
Thanks,
James
Babbits has them for $364 here's a link

http://tinyurl.com/3kvc2sj

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That one might be the ticket, the price is what I was hoping for. Their 139 tooth 1" wide should be pretty close to the width of the new belts. My old belt is about 1.1" wide and I heard the newer belts are about 2 mm narrower.
Price is $139.50.
I'll have to contact them and see if I can get a tooth size measurement and tooth spacing, or maybe they would even know if it would fit.
I contacted Gates and all they would say is "the only way to get the exact replacement is to go through Kawasaki".
Thanks everyone,
James

·
Registered
644 Posts
That one might be the ticket, the price is what I was hoping for. Their 139 tooth 1" wide should be pretty close to the width of the new belts. My old belt is about 1.1" wide and I heard the newer belts are about 2 mm narrower.
Price is $139.50.
I'll have to contact them and see if I can get a tooth size measurement and tooth spacing, or maybe they would even know if it would fit.
I contacted Gates and all they would say is "the only way to get the exact replacement is to go through Kawasaki".
Thanks everyone,
James
Here's another source: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Gates_HTD_Poly_Chain_Rear_Drive_Belts_p/gates-drive.htm

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Hi everyone,
Thanks,
James
The only numbers on my belt are 590011 (not sure if it 11or 77, the last two numbers are a bit worn) -0025. Then 261W.

Not much choice over here so if you come up with a correct after market belt please let us know

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only numbers on my belt are 590011 (not sure if it 11or 77, the last two numbers are a bit worn) -0025. Then 261W.

Not much choice over here so if you come up with a correct after market belt please let us know
Thanks, 59011-0025 is the Kawasaki number I got from the dealers quote. A part search on Gates web site doesn't bring up anything. I asked Gates about the belt and they said I could get a direct replacement only from Kawasaki. I just hate how much its marked up somewhere or everywhere along the line. The belt shouldn't be anymore then $150 not over $460!
I'm still working on it, I sent Belt Drives LTD a email but I havn't heard back from them yet. I see all of carbon fiber belts listed for Harleys for less then $150. Someday I'm sure the info will be out there for us too. I wouldn't mind paying a little more to help out Kawasaki and my Stealer.. but in my book that price is just not right!
Thanks everyone for the help, I'm still working on it.
James

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Thanks, 59011-0025 is the Kawasaki number I got from the dealers quote. A part search on Gates web site doesn't bring up anything. I asked Gates about the belt and they said I could get a direct replacement only from Kawasaki. I just hate how much its marked up somewhere or everywhere along the line. The belt shouldn't be anymore then $150 not over $460!
I'm still working on it, I sent Belt Drives LTD a email but I havn't heard back from them yet. I see all of carbon fiber belts listed for Harleys for less then $150. Someday I'm sure the info will be out there for us too. I wouldn't mind paying a little more to help out Kawasaki and my Stealer.. but in my book that price is just not right!
Thanks everyone for the help, I'm still working on it.
James
After a quick look I found the belt at $368 on this link.
http://www.powersportspro.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=AYP#/Kawasaki/VN1700JBFA_Vulcan_1700_Vaquero_(2011)/REAR_WHEEL//CHAIN/VN1700JBFA-2011/I17I1715F22401

·
Registered
644 Posts
Why is everyone looking at these high priced Kaw belts? Gates poly-chain with the right tooth count, 14mm tooth, and 1 1/8 inch wide is all you need. There is no reason to spend the money Kaw wants for a belt when there are plenty of options in the aftermarket. Even the manual states it's a Gates 139T.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why is everyone looking at these high priced Kaw belts? Gates poly-chain with the right tooth count, 14mm tooth, and 1 1/8 inch wide is all you need. There is no reason to spend the money Kaw wants for a belt when there are plenty of options in the aftermarket. Even the manual states it's a Gates 139T.
I'm with you BrucerZX14 and thanks for the links. I was thinking more of the 1" but the 1 1/8" might be better.

If I decide I need to change my belt I'll try one of them. I wasn't sure what the 14mm meant so I sent them off a email. First I need new tires then I'll decide if I'll change my belt. Its not as bad as it looks but it does make a little bit of squeaking when accelerating between 55 and 65. About one more time in the chip seal roads and it will be toast! lol. I dug a rock out of two of the clogs, one hole all the way through the middle, and half of the top nylon layer scraped off on one side of the belt.

I adjusted the belt looser (from 5mm deflection to 10mm at 10lbs) and lined it up but still sounds the same. I'm going to get a can of dry lube tomorrow and give it a shot of that to confirm it is the belt I'm hearing.

Thanks again everyone,
James

·
Registered
644 Posts
The 14mm is the size of each tooth.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
If the belt has the same pitch and same number of teeth/cogs, I'd think it would also be of the same/similar length.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Is 14 mm the correct tooth pitch for the OEM belt? Can you provide any links to info where this number is stated, I have looked high and low but can't seem to find it. I am about to pull the trigger on a new Gates belt but need to be sure

Thanks
Dean

·
Registered
636 Posts
When I last needed a belt Dean, I bought a used OEM one off Ebay for more than the price of a new Gates belt... So many of us will be forever in your debt if you can definitively confirm that a Gates part # is a direct replacement. We're all quietly hoping you boldly go where so very few have gone before you, and that you remember to report back on the success of the experiment to help the rest of us down the track. :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
When I last needed a belt Dean, I bought a used OEM one off Ebay for more than the price of a new Gates belt... So many of us will be forever in your debt if you can definitively confirm that a Gates part # is a direct replacement. We're all quietly hoping you boldly go where so very few have gone before you, and that you remember to report back on the success of the experiment to help the rest of us down the track. :)
I don't need one yet, but I just got back from a trip to Alaska with 3 buddy's. There was me, a Honda 750 Shadow, a Can-Am Spyder RT, and a Kawasaki Vulcan 900. The 900 blew the belt just outside of Whitehorse and we ended up waiting 2-1/2 days for one. I will definitely be getting a belt from somewhere as a spare if I go on a long trip like that again. I am leaning towards the Gates but I will post on here if and when I do purchase one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts