Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 1700 Nomad with 18000 miles on it. Last weekend I started on a road trip and when I tried to set the cruise control it would not set.
When I looked down the gear indicator showed 4th gear when it should have been in OD. I pulled off the freeway and started over and it shifted like it should and the cruise control worked. After a short stop it did the same thing again. Any help out there with this one.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Mine intermittently shows one gear lower for a short time before correcting itself. If it really bothers you just give the shift lever a little nudge up with your toe. I can say that it's never affected my cruise control tho.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I have heard of many of us 1700 riders (including myself) have the intermitting wrong gear indicator showing. It comes & goes. I even had the gear sensor pick up replaced under warranty just to go BAD again after the waranty expired.
The gear indicator will not effect the cruse unless the system thinks it's in 1st or 2nd.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Mine has done it, up and down, almost since new. Sometimes going up to 6th, it'll show 4th for a second or 2 then show "OD". Going down it'll show 2nd when in 3rd. Sometimes I'll let off the throttle slightly then accelerate again and it shows the right gear. It has never affected my cruise though, but usually shows correct gear within a couple seconds.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Mine has been a little sluggish to show the gear change once in a while. But talking about the cruise....

I use the cruise ALL the time.....

I wish it worked like my last Venture. You could come to a complete stop and as long and you did not turn the engine off or shut off the cruise, it would remember your setting and would resume after you got into third or higher gear. It did not have a gear indicator but would tell you when you was in 5th (OD) by a dash light, and always knew you was lower than 3rd when trying to re-engage the cruise....

I wish my Voyager would keep the cruise setting after I stop and go again... I do a lot of that on these country roads here, and I have to reset the cruise every time I stop and then reach the speed I was doing.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The cruise will not set unless your in 5th or 6th! what I do is is slow down a little drop down a gear run the rpm's up and than up shift again and most the time she will jump up into 5th and 6th.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
The cruise will not set unless your in 5th or 6th! what I do is is slow down a little drop down a gear run the rpm's up and than up shift again and most the time she will jump up into 5th and 6th.
That's not true. You can set cruise from 3rd to 6th so long as your speed is between 30 & 85 mph.
I've done it many times.:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't know if this was answered but if you are having problems with you cruise control not going on, check the micro switch for the rear brake, it is under the right floorboard, it often gets dirty and a shot of wd40 usually does the trick, dumb place to put it IMO

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
WD40 works miracles and is a great lubricant for many things....but it is a dirt magnet. It is not a good contact cleaner... I use regular contact cleaner on those switches....

·
Kiwi Voyager
55 Posts
Yep, same here too, my 2010 has done it since year one, its been into the shop for every service and each time i mention the gear indicator problem , they contacted MaCaw who eventually said they were investigating it, four years later, warranty expired still no answer. Like most of yours it does eventually show the correct gear, and no its. never upset the cruise, and probably 80% of my 40000kms have been in cruise. Ive heard of voyagers that have had sensor switches changed but the problem just Comes back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts