Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of trading my 2011 900 custom with 9600 miles for a 2005 mean streak 1600 with 13,000 miles. The price is a wash as they are both the same kelly book value. I want more power and the 900 is fine but while riding with my group, they all have larger 1500 cc bikes, i find that 75 mph doesn't appear to that easy on the bike. Don't get me wrong, i love the 900 but going 75 mph seems a little above the bikes sweet spot. 65 mph feels very comfortable on the 900 and 75 is no problem but it kind of strains if i am doing it for awhile. My question is , is it worth it to get an older bike by trading in my newer bike. It feels like I am stepping back because my bike is newer but the mean streak has the power I am looking for. Also, the meanie has less miles per year which is also a plus. The 900 looks like a smaller version of the meanie anyway. any one have any thoughts on this? It seems like a good deal to me but would like thoughts from others

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The meanstreak is one cool bike, and quite a powerhouse. Just for sheer features and platform, you might also consider something from the 1700 line. They can be had pretty inexpensively.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
I'm thinking of trading my 2011 900 custom with 9600 miles for a 2005 mean streak 1600 with 13,000 miles. The price is a wash as they are both the same kelly book value. I want more power and the 900 is fine but while riding with my group, they all have larger 1500 cc bikes, i find that 75 mph doesn't appear to that easy on the bike. Don't get me wrong, i love the 900 but going 75 mph seems a little above the bikes sweet spot. 65 mph feels very comfortable on the 900 and 75 is no problem but it kind of strains if i am doing it for awhile. My question is , is it worth it to get an older bike by trading in my newer bike. It feels like I am stepping back because my bike is newer but the mean streak has the power I am looking for. Also, the meanie has less miles per year which is also a plus. The 900 looks like a smaller version of the meanie anyway. any one have any thoughts on this? It seems like a good deal to me but would like thoughts from others
If I were you, I would jump on it! As long as you have given it a good test ride and its in comparable shape, I see no reason why not.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was already to buy an 08 Meanstreak SE, it is a beautiful bike in great condition. Just to be sure I called our insurance broker for a quote. I pay $740 a year for my 900 - they wanted $1,785 for the meany.....ugh. It has to do with how long I have had a bike insured. I have had my full license for 40 years but only have 3.5 years of current mc insurance history. I am bummed out about this but there is no way i am paying an extra grand a year. They told me next year it will drop sustantially.

Good thing I really like my 900 :)

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
@Spinner I pay $180 a year on my 900. Full coverage. You might wanna shop around a bit! (BTW only 3 years of current motorcycle insurance history)

As far as trading for the Meanie: As @Romans5.8 and @DeputyLoud have stated, you shouldn't feel worried about going older. If it's in the same mechanical and physical shape as your 9, go for it. Going older wouldn't bother me if it was mechanically sound. And also, I don't think the 9 strains at 75 or even 85. It just sings right along with enough oomph to pass when needed. Of course going from a 900 to 1500 is going to have a noticeable increase in power. If you do one of the pulley swaps to an OD pulley, the revs will be similar at 75 as it is at 65.

·
Registered
214 Posts
@DoomCrew, Our car insurance is very inexpensive compared to our friends with comparable cars. My Vulcan is also in line with what others are paying. The Toronto area is a avery high risk area as far as the insurance companies are concerned and they rip us off. I had quotes from 3 different companies for the Meany - I have a perfect driving record but they consider me a "new" ride (as do I) and as soon as the bike goes over 1000 cc the rates are jacked up. 12 months from september the cost for me to have a meanie will drop to slightly less than I pay for the 900 - assuming they do not raise the rates. Our gov was supposed to lower them by now.... hmmmmm

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments, as far as insurance, I pay 550 for nyc including med pay which is what usually jacks up the price. I guess I have to check on the insurance for a bigger bike, i actually didn't even think of it.

The meanie is in great shape with no dings, looks garage kept. The price is fair and equal to kelly blue book, I think I would enjoy the extra power and could probably go a little farther.

Will let you know what i decide

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Typically if you have to ask then you know the answer. Never ridden a meanie but something about the stance of it I've never liked. It's obviously more powerful but what are you looking for?

Cool thing is both bikes are cheap enough it doesn't matter. Meaning you won't lose money to fugue this out. You could buy the meanie and if you hate it then so what? You can buy another 9 for $3k. No loss to figure this out. Do it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
1000cc's is the big jump. When you go over 1000cc's, it's a big jump. Different companies treat that differently; so shop around. Get quotes for a meanstreak.

Also, the Meanstreak, specifically, won't just be a jump from 900 to 1600cc's. The meanie is a very tightly tuned machine that will outperform most V-Twins in it's size range; if not all. It's quite a powerhorse! I'm quite disappointed that there isn't a 1700 meanstreak.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Typically if you have to ask then you know the answer. Never ridden a meanie but something about the stance of it I've never liked. It's obviously more powerful but what are you looking for?

Cool thing is both bikes are cheap enough it doesn't matter. Meaning you won't lose money to fugue this out. You could buy the meanie and if you hate it then so what? You can buy another 9 for $3k. No loss to figure this out. Do it.

Yeah, that's what's making me think about doing it, the value is the same regardless but i think i'll love it. I'm looking for more power on trips more than anything. I'm not looking to compete with the speed bikes. I want a 6th gear that i can cruise in comfortably and go farther distances instead of 5 that feels like its straining. The tourers are a little too expensive but living in manhattan I also need some maneuverability and the meanie stance gives me that without being too top heavy with bags and such. Probably going to pull the trigger this week. Thanks all for the input . I just needed a push

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've never ridden a 900 but I went from a Suzuki C50, 805cc, to a Vaquero 1700 and wow. The torque is great and I love that power off the line but what I love the most is cruising at highway speeds and I still have plenty of power left in overdrive if I need to speed up. My C50 would do 70+ no problem but it was roaring RPMs at highway speeds and I could feel it in my groin after a while. I was constantly kicking it thinking I should shift into a gear that didn't exist. I am so impressed with the 1700 and it's 6 speed tranny, it is at it's sweet spot on the highway and just purrs like a kitten. And I used to get blown around by the wind on the C50 but this larger more powerful 1700 handles the wind like a champ and I only notice it in very strong winds. I've seen those mean streaks and they look nice but I love the Vaquero and like Roman said they can be had for a good price, I got my 2011 with only 1800 miles and it is pretty much brand new for only $8,250.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It's all trade off man. Depends on your riding style. If your banging the slab the 900 ain't for you. If you bang the slab occasionally and want a bike you can pick up if it falls the the 900 is basically the perfect bike. Does everything well. Nothing great.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
I have full coverage on my '08 Vulcan (900cc) and my '91 Glide (1340cc), cost me $618/yr for both. We bundle everything from the farm insurance to the vehicles and have been with our insurance agent for over 20yrs. Maybe that has something to do with it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just traded a Honda 750 for a 1500 classic for the same reasons. It was a jump in insurance but worth it to me to be able to cruise the highway at 80mph without any vibration and plenty of power left. Good luck on your decision. I did give up gas mileage
if that matters to you.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I went from the 500 to a1600 Nomad. Took a while to get used to the additional weight, but the Nomad is more comfortable two up, and my wife can ride a much longer time, as a passenger. She has more room, and the Nomad is more stable two up. 500 averaged 50 mpg, Nomad is averaging 40, not a bad difference considering engine size tripled. Insurance only went up about $10 a year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Now the 900 is a dang nice bike. Great platform and solid engine. I am however partial to the meanie. I have one. By far one of the best bike I've owned

1 - 16 of 16 Posts