Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about taking a couple days off from work next month and found out that Sturgis starts that same weekend so i figured it was more than just coincidence and thought maybe i should take a ride down there since its only an 8 hour ride. but my problem is I've never been there before, not sure what to expect and on top of it all i would be by myself since none of my friends have motorcycles and i don't know anybody down there.

so should i take a shot in the dark and hope that i will be able to have fun and meet new people by myself or should i just stay home wait until some other year and regret not going this year?:confused:

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I've never been to sturgis. I'm not a big crowds or a party kind of guy, I much prefer places off the beaten path. Just not my thing. BUT, I HAVE gone on long rides solo because I had time off and my wife/friends didn't. I prefer to be with at least one other person, but riding by yourself can be rewarding. You set the pace completely, it's relaxing, you can see those cool little hole in the wall places without worrying about slowing everyone down. In fact the last long motorcycle trip my wife and I were on was just a business trip for me; so I rode down, then she came down on the weekend, then she left, then I left a couple days later. So even though we spent the weekend together we both rode solo. I kinda like it once in a while! If you wanna go to sturgis don't worry about who is or isn't there or who is or isn't going with ya, just go!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes

Stay Here:

http://www.bearbuttecreekcampground.com/

I went my first year by myself as all my friends backed out at the last minute and I had a blast. When you get close they have free maps of all the rides in the area, so grab one. You will meet lots of people and make some new friends. Go and have a good time.

·
Banned
254 Posts
don't miss Sturgis, riding there alone is fine, don't miss the chance to go, being alone is fine, its an adventure you will enjoy, you might meet new people, have fun with the experience at Sturgis

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just do it lol

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Man, there is nothing wrong with being a lone wolf. There is so many folks in my life that I actually enjoy alone time. Do it!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Hunter - DOOWIT! You're only 8 hours away! My Groups is gonna be doing 3 DAYS of riding each way to go! If it were only 8 hours, I'd be there every year!

I can't recommended a campground, as I don't know what you're looking for. I'm staying at the Buffalo Chip. That's where a lot of the raucous parties tend to like to stay, and quite honestly, that's the crowd that I like being around. I've read about some other campgrounds that are "family friendly" (whatever the hell that means in Sturgis. . . Lol), and have quiet hours, and aren't crowded. Lots of talk about this stuff on that OTHER brand's forums.

As far as being there alone, I don't think you'll have issues. There is lots of beer to drink, lots of easy women (or men) to pick up, and more beautiful roads to ride than you'll have time for!
You didn't think mention if you'd ever been to any rallies in the past. . . most are kinda the same, but this one is just much bigger. Also, your age, what you like to do, etc. That way I k of if I should meet you while you're there, or not. :D

·
Registered
990 Posts
Lone rider

Hunter, once you are within 100mi of Sturgis, you are not alone. And odds are, with the amount of traffic there, you will see someone you know. Two wheels and some leather are all the introduction you need...:D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Do all the HD wanna be 1%ers give you a hard time?
Safety in numbers I reckon.
I rode a Suzuki VX800 my first year and most of the old timers loved it because of all the custom welding on it. I have had no issues any years I've gone. Either on my VX800 or VN900C.

As for the 1%, they are in their own world and could care less about anyone who is not a 1%. The only time you would have a problem is if you start something with them. The Hells Angels even have a story downtown that you can buy supporter apparel at.

Nothing to worry about, but having a good time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wish I was able to spend more time there. I was in Badlands ND in 2000 4 wheelin for a week and on our way home we drove thru Sturgis and it just happened to be the weekend during the yearly gathering. I was in a 1978 Dodge 15pass van and had a load of atv's on or I woulda stuck around a bit. It was an adventure just driving that thing a round trip of 2100 miles and even more adventurous trying to maneuver the van and trailer thru downtown Sturgis. DOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTT.......

·
Registered
941 Posts
Do all the HD wanna be 1%ers give you a hard time?
Safety in numbers I reckon.
Yeah those doctors and lawyers love to start stuff...

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I don't mean physical - I mean the sh*t some/many HD riders lay on metrics. Gets a bit much after a while. Stick a HD badge between their legs & all of a sudden they are hard-core.
So ignore them! Inferiority complexes will die if not fed. Don't go for the bait.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I don't mean physical - I mean the sh*t some/many HD riders lay on metrics. Gets a bit much after a while. Stick a HD badge between their legs & all of a sudden they are hard-core.
Nobody really cares. People go to Sturgis to party.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I gotta admit, I don't know if I'd want to go without at least one buddy..but as close as you are it'd be hard not to just go for it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
If I was only 8 hours, i'd go for sure, as far as your personal safety goes, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Go have fun and live a little, just post a few pics for us guys who live across the border.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
What's this personal safety bull?
We are men, the only things that scare us now are unemployment and taxes......

·
Registered
154 Posts
And then, in the winter, they drive a Honda Accord and watch their Samsung TV while playing Sony Playstation and go out for sushi on the weekend.

Seriously, people on this board worry too much about the metric thing. World War 2 ended 60 years ago, dudes. More than half the stuff we own is made overseas.

If you're self-conscious over what bike you ride then get a Harley. Wear Harley clothes while riding your Harley to a Harley dealership to buy a Harley patch.

The brand of bike you ride doesn't make you cool or not cool. You can be kickass on a Kawasaki or a douche on a Harley.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
And then, in the winter, they drive a Honda Accord and watch their Samsung TV while playing Sony Playstation and go out for sushi on the weekend.

Seriously, people on this board worry too much about the metric thing. World War 2 ended 60 years ago, dudes. More than half the stuff we own is made overseas.

If you're self-conscious over what bike you ride then get a Harley. Wear Harley clothes while riding your Harley to a Harley dealership to buy a Harley patch.

The brand of bike you ride doesn't make you cool or not cool. You can be kickass on a Kawasaki or a douche on a Harley.
A lot of people do seem to be very insecure. . .

I ride both my Harley and my Kawasaki, and have never had any issues anywhere.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts