Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2007 Vulcan 2000. It's a 'program' bike that the dealer has had since it was new. Only 100 miles on it. Good price...but...I'm concerned that the bike has been sitting too long. They say that they start it regularly.

You guys have any concerns that I should think about with buying a 'new' bike that is from 2007?

thks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Factory Waranty

Hi there

If the prize is good and you get the full factory waranty I don't see a problem. If you don't get full factory waranty I don't would take it. Dealer say very much before you sign the contract.

I wish you luck!!!!! :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yup, as long as they are willing to give you a warranty, and maybe a fresh filter and oil change, I say go for it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Last October I picked up my 2007 V2k LT with 15k miles and lots of extra goodies attached. The original factory warranty had just expired but the previous owner purchased the 4 year extended warranty so I'm good thru 2014! Runs great, runs fast and runs all day! No problems, no worries and no regrets! Just be sure to get a warranty and then GO FOR IT!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...gonna buy it

I'm heading out of town for a few days...but hoping/expecting the bike will still be available when I get back...than heading to the dealer to trade in my 2006 Vulcan 1500...and ride out on a beast!

Thks...Mike

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I also traded up from the 1500 to get a V2K (2009) and never regretted a moment. Got $7500 on Craigs list for my 1500 and spent $9000 otd for the V2K.

To look out for includes: battery almost certainly has sufonated (I think is the term) and does not have a lot of capacity. If you can get them to throw in a new fresh battery i bet you avoid some future problems....like not being able to start it after some short runs..or when it is cold...etc. Just starting it once in a while is a terrible way to treat a battery...it conditions it to have no deep capacity. .... bikes need to be run for a good distance to get any kind of real discharge/ charge pattern embedded.

Also my bike had loose hose clamps on the coolant lines that go to the top of the cylinder heads.... if you see bird dropping looking stuff on the cylinder fins dont be surprised....also a factory problem the deal should fix free.... a bit of a challenge getting the gas tank off to reach them all but if you are up for that all it requires is tightening...

other than that my leftover bike had no issues and runs great...and yours will too.... I also say GO FOR IT... :)
Annie

I'm looking at a 2007 Vulcan 2000. It's a 'program' bike that the dealer has had since it was new. Only 100 miles on it. Good price...but...I'm concerned that the bike has been sitting too long. They say that they start it regularly.

You guys have any concerns that I should think about with buying a 'new' bike that is from 2007?

thks

·
Registered
864 Posts
You are also getting some potentially old tires, there is a date stamped on them i would ck it out cause they could be 5-7 years old as we speak.... Then you have a bike with dry rotted tires and more expense you didnt plan on... Bulldozer

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think you'd do OK

If you will be the first titled owner you should get the full factory warranty starting from the date of purchase. Make sure that’s the case!! Others have brought up good points; I have a 2007 V2K LT that I purchased new in 07. This winter I had to jump start the bike every week that I started it and let it run. I ran it 30-40 minutes each time but the battery still went bad by the time I went to storage each week to start it. I’m betting yours will need a battery within a year or two. I have 5000 miles on my original tires and they are worn but not dry rotted, I’d be concerned about flat spots on the Bridgestones for as long as they’ve had that heavy bike sitting in one position. You can’t go wrong with a V2K…If the price is right I’d fix the little stuff along the way. Just my opinion….

·
Registered
344 Posts
I bought my '06 in the Fall of 09. New off the showroom floor. Don't know if it had been started. The battery is still fine - so far (I think they never added electrolyte 'til I got it so probably not started?) The 3 year+ old Bridgestones did not last long, but with new Avons and near 15K all seems well.

BTW, I got the full warranty and also got the extended when it ran out. As far as the extended warranty... Kawi began to send letters about 6 months before the original expired. It said I needed to send money right away - Only chance. Got one of these about every 6 weeks! Just before the original expired, I finally went to the dealer and paid less than 60% of what Kawi wanted directly for the same warranty. I have heard that others found even better deals offered by dealers on ebay. YMMV

Woody

Woody

Woody

·
Registered
344 Posts
Oh, Be sure to check the tire pressure. The dealer (the one I don't go back to) never put air in the tires, even when they handed it over to me. Pressure was in the teens and it handled like a drunk elephant. Like a different bike after I aired the tires.
_W_

·
Registered
392 Posts
The 3 year+ old Bridgestones did not last long, but with new Avons and near 15K all seems well.
woody, please clarify. How many miles did u get from factory tires. and was your second set the Avons? It appears you are only on second set at 15K and going strong. This seems pretty good. thx

I bought new 08 VN2000 classic a week ago 2/11/11.

·
Registered
126 Posts
9500 km (less than 6 000 miles) on my stock bridgestones (rear anyhow)....out of the crate 07 v2k purchased and put together in summer of 08

1 - 13 of 13 Posts