Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you guys wearing blue jeans and leather chaps on trips or just blue jeans? Wife says I should just wear blue jeans on our 1 week July trip to PEI Canada cause I will have the chaps off more times then on, I have old frogg toggs for rain gear but the hot pipes burnt holes in the pant leg and I taped the insides with duck tape, but blue jeans is all I think I'm taking and my leather jacket

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I own both a set of leathup.com chaps and a set of textile "Bilt" riding pants (with some armor in the knees) that I wear (one or the other - not both at the same time) for all higher-speed and long-distance riding. For that 40 MPH or below around-the-house stuff, like to go pick up a pizza, I only wear jeans.

My chaps (that I like, but they are my first set and I don't know just how good or bad chaps can be): http://www.leatherup.com/p/Leather-Chaps--pants/Best-Seller-Mens-Premium-Motorcycle-Easy-Fit-Chaps-with-Zipper-On-Thigh/41237.html

And I wear these under my chaps, but on top of my jeans: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/10/8506/ITEM/Shift-Racing-Enforcer-Knee-Shin-Guards.aspx , but in black - not red. Actually, I wear those under the riding pants, too, because the riding pants' armor is small, and I am a fan of the harder plastic to deflect the initial blow if I throw the bike away, as well as to take the brunt of road debris and hard rain (hey, large rain-drops sting at 75 MPH).

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
You'll get different answers from different people, anything from "It's okay to wear shorts when you ride" to "if I could get a suit like Ironman, I'd wear it". I always wear leather chaps on trips, simply because of the bugs and the occasional road debris I get pelted with, along with the safety edge. Getting hit in the shin or knee cap with a pebble or a bug on a trip to the hardware store at 35-45 mph is one thing, but having it happen all day long at 65-75 mph is another. But like everything else in motorcycling, it's whatever you're comfortable with. I won't leave home without my chaps ever; they're always in my saddlebags. Your mileage may vary!

·
Registered
696 Posts
I agree with Pat, but to a lesser degree. If I know the temps will fluctuate enough to make me uncomfortable, I'll carry the chaps. I'll wear them in cool temps, on roads where I anticipate a lot of debris, and/or when I'm looking at a road that offers more risk.

The rest of the time, I'll wear kevlar re-enforced blue jeans, sometimes with the soft armor installed.

Bottom line, on a long trip, I'd at least have them in the saddlebag. :)

Enjoy

·
Registered
735 Posts
Are you guys wearing blue jeans and leather chaps on trips or just blue jeans? Wife says I should just wear blue jeans on our 1 week July trip to PEI Canada cause I will have the chaps off more times then on, I have old frogg toggs for rain gear but the hot pipes burnt holes in the pant leg and I taped the insides with duck tape, but blue jeans is all I think I'm taking and my leather jacket
I don't wear chaps, but I've been thinking about buying a pair from Colorado Chaps:
http://www.coloradochaps.com/motorcycle_chaps.html.

Probably a good idea. Jeans don't last long on tar. :(

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am an ATGATT guy so I would never ride in just jeans or jeans with chaps.

I wear armoured textile pants whenever I ride.

My wife says I have a cute ass...I really don't want to shred all the skin off of it, which WILL happen if you land on your butt wearing jeans, even at 15 MPH.

Just my take on the situation. Your skin is yours to risk as you wish.

·
Registered
63 Posts
wearing chaps is gay

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wearing chaps is gay? you mean chaps don't look cool? I like the looks of chaps except in the summer when I stop I'm always wanting to take them off cause it's hot

·
Registered
641 Posts
I wear jeans with Kevlar (Draggin Jeans or something similar) and will wear chaps or thick rain gain gear pants if it is cold. The problem I have with my leather pants is I got the full leather version (no cut-out for crotch/butt), so I slide around on my Airhawk cushion. Something I never thought about when ordering them. I bought an extra Airhawk cushion cover, so I will see if it will keep me from sliding around if I put the cushion upside down so the no-slip part is in contact with my pants. Let me know if anyone else has an idea.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I thought the same thing until a 40 degree day in Massachusetts. A friend let me wear his for my ride home. I was warm, rocks did not bother me when they hit the chaps and again I was WARM after my ride.
Plus 1 ..... Im comfortable about my sexuality and i wear chaps when out riding on day trips etc ... for touring, i wear textile, waterproof, with armor touring pants, when it is real hot, jeans with body armor, really really hot ... just jeans. .... and no, Im not gay.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Chaps, almost always. When I ride my little scooter to the milk store, sometimes I cheat. My kid tells me my little scooter is gay, too, so I can't win. I don't worry about it. I don't wear them to impress people. Often.

Any other time, they're part of my uniform: boots, jeans, chaps, denim shirt, leather jacket, helmet, glasses and gloves. All that stuff belongs on the bike, with me in it, and putting it on is part of my ritual, adjusts my attitude before I risk my life with the idiot cagers on the road.

I like them because they go on and off easily, stow easily, keep my legs warm and dry and safe from small rocks. They work well together with my boots. I only find them hot when I stop, but then everything I'm wearing becomes hot.

I think if I wore chaps without pants or underwear, that might be gay. Or maybe kinky. Depends on who else is in the room.

Don't hurt yourself
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
445 Posts
I ware my chaps in 100 degree weather with no problem ang when I get to where I'm going they come off quickly and stow away in bag easy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Blue Jeans minimum

I believe that there are two kinds of riders; those who have been down and those who will be down. I am also a coroner and have seen the results of wearing little protection. There have been cases of people with no injuries after laying down a bike other than the road rash that have died from the insuing infection. It is always your choice. Me personally I try to err on the side of caution.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Silly boi, you are supposed to leave your pants on when you wear chaps. No wonder the others make fun of you
Post of the day ..... way to funny :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts