Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backstory - I do not have a headlight on the bike at all right now, it flew off during a wreck (left side, away from wiring/connectors) two weeks ago. Turning signals are there and not damaged. I was just going for a short ride to see if the suspension/steering was tweaked last night.

Stopped by a friends house and had the bike shut off for twenty minutes. Go to ride home and notice I don't have any lights on my dash/gauges, my turn signals are not operating as running lights like normal but DO operate when using the signal switch, also my tail/brake light is out and does not operate at all.

So I remove side covers and check fuses - tail light fuse is popped. Put a spare in and it popped. Unplugged a bunch of connectors (under right side cover, is that the ECU?) and reconnected them, jiggled some wiring inside the battery tray and put another fuse in and this time the brake light works. (So there is a shorted wire somewhere I assume?)

I gained back my gauge lighting, brake light and tail light, and my front turn signals are operating as running lights and operate normal when using the turn switch... but the rear turn signals are NOT operating as running lights, though they do work when you use the signal switch.

Do you guys think it's just a matter of finding some shorted/loose wiring? They were working when I pulled out of my garage. At my friend's house I did use my helmet hook under the seat so I assumed maybe I may have bumped or pinched something when placing the seat back on the bike.

Something strange I also noticed was a buzzing relay noise from under the right side cover when I removed the headlight fuse and used it for the tail light because I ran out of spares. I assume that's just because the relay isn't seeing the proper load so it's not making full contact? I corrected this by placing the horn fuse in the headlight fuse slot.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone have a link to or know where I can find a schematic for the turn signal wiring?

I'm super confused.

Front turn signals operate as running lights and when selected, they work like blinkers. They function normally.

Rears DO NOT operate as running lights but do work when using the turn signal switch. They should be running lights as well but that function is not working!!

I found that the rear two lights are provided two wires each. A black w/ green stripe to each (ground i'm assuming) and one has a grey w/ green stripe, the other has a green w/ green stripe.

When using the turn signal switch, the 12v is provided across the grey on right side and across the green on left side. Black wires do not show voltage, so I'm pretty sure that's just ground.

So somewhere those wires should be getting fed constant 12v and the flasher is what interrupts that signal.

The flasher relay is working as it should as far as I can tell. Unless that's what is interrupting the constant 12v (bad coil in relay?) even though the flasher functions normally.

I did find the front left turn signal wiring got pinched in the steering neck where the steering-stop-bolt contacts the frame. The front signals are fed 3 wires each, which only adds to the confusion.

I really need a schematic for the turn signals! Please any help!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
In the first post where I said I got the tail light to work after I jiggled some wires, I'm guessing I also probably had the steering turned to the right side rather than against the steering stop on the left... because that's where pinched wiring was. So jiggling the wiring probably had no effect on fixing the problem, it was likely solved simply by removing the short between steering stop and frame when I had steering turned to the left, by turning it right while on the sidestand doing troubleshooting. I didn't find those pinched wires until last night.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I dont believe the rear turn signals function as running lights.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...I'm gonna facepalm myself for 6 hours staight if you're not kidding...

The fronts do... I was just under the impression the rears would to!? It seems for safety they should.

Can more people verify Nati's statement?

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts

another better view of the lights

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
My friends 900 has rear turn signals and they are not running lights. If you have yellow / amber lenses then they cannot be running lights. Amber is 50 state legal for turn signals but not as running lights from the rear.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess my brain was just reassuring me they used to operate as running lights... there was some funny problem there for a minute w/ no turn signals or brake lights at all and I assumed I hadn't fixed it entirely since the rears didn't match the fronts.

Now I look like the bear in Bear2123's avatar. DOH!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
My friends 900 has rear turn signals and they are not running lights. If you have yellow / amber lenses then they cannot be running lights. Amber is 50 state legal for turn signals but not as running lights from the rear.
Correct.

The amber rear lights on my VN2K are blinkers only, not running lights.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Lights

Correct on the Amber lights. The headlight doesn't come on until engine starts. I like that. I have seen some of the mentioned symptoms when a Stator is on the blink, but doesn't sound like your situation. Just thinking outloud....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, found a short in the front left turning signal wiring where it pinched between the frame and turn signal mounting bolt.

Repaired all that w/ solder and heat shrink, put it all back together, everything was fine, then I was routing the wires up to the headlight and I heard this SNAP - the accessory fuse popped.

WTF? IDK but I replaced the fuse and jiggled all the wires and it didn't pop again... weird.

I put it back together and called it good.

Thanks for the tips guys!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I think I'd continue my troubleshooting there. A fuse shouldn't pop unless there is a short someplace. IF you haven't found and repaired it now, then you're possibly open to having it happen on the road. Or, some wire is open to the atmosphere and subsequent corrosion sometime later in it's life. It's a pay me now or pay me later kind of thing. JMHO

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Probably right to keep searching through, I still need to remove the tank when it comes time to paint, when I do that I'll chase down more wiring.

I wish the damn owner's manual had ANY schematics in it. Kind of a joke of an owner's manual.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts