Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The battery failed on my VN900 this morning, and I had to get another. I ended up at Cycle Gear and bought a Mega Boost battery. They seem to be ok I guess, already in the bike and on the trickle charger.

The problem I had was finding one. Everyone seemed out of AGM batteries. The guy at Cycle Gear even warned me about tires. He said if I wanted tires I needed to get them now, because they were about to run short on tires. Fortunately I don't need tires right now.

So my question is, has anyone else started running into trouble getting the replacement parts they need for their bikes? I could not find an AGM battery anywhere in the DFW metroplex (I didn't do an exhaustive search). Even the local Kawasaki dealer didn't have them. I also ordered 2 parts at the Kawi dealer, special order, and had to pay a 10 percent shipping surcharge. I've never had to do that before either.

·
Registered
2012 Nomad
1,097 Posts
Fortunately I haven't had to order any parts lately but I have seen posts on this board and the Yamaha board of folks having issues of finding tires.

A couple of days ago I went to fill up my cage with gas and had to go to 2 different stations before I could find any. That station had 8 pumps and only 2 had gas.
I've read many stories on the news saying that we are at the beginning of a time for shortages of many things we have taken for granted all our lives.
I've talked with friends and business associates that say that production on their job has slowed due to shortages of steel, chemicals, etc.
Looking at statistics since the Fed and state unemployment benefits have run out is not good news. Many of these folks are simply not looking for jobs.
I think this is going to get worse before it gets better

·
Super Moderator
5,492 Posts
This pandemic has entered every aspect of our lives. People are still in a state of flux and buy extra of everything for fear of not having it available later.
Don‘t really want to be cynical but wonder how much of this is being manipulated by the powers to be. Look at the gas situation. The price never went down. Have read the oil producing nations are still supplying large amounts.
True that some people got used to not working. But with so many jobs available, there really is no excuse for them not getting off their butts. It’s time they get back into society.
It is ridiculous that a restaurant is only open for drive thru due to lack of employees.
Okay enough ranting. I’m better know. Think I will go out and clean the bikes. 😀

·
Administrator "Loose Nut"
Houston, Texas
1,302 Posts
Being in the logistics of automotive parts, yes, there is a huge part shortage. My warehouse has a store attached to it. I walked out and they had two AMG batteries for your bike in stock.

Yellow Font Poster Advertising Billboard

and it’s fresh, less than 30 days old.

Yellow Automotive tire Font Material property Gadget

I service 109 stores and our orders have been light due to selections. Good think is we carry several brands in almost every line so customer can be served.

·
Registered
2012 Nomad
1,097 Posts
Duralast - Really?
I know you're working on your retirement account now but..........

Just kidding. Glad you have some. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

·
Registered
2012 Nomad
1,097 Posts
Does not surprise me.
Well wait a minute.....
Johnson Controls? That surprises me! It's a wonder they can ship anything on time. They can't pay a bill on time if their life depended on it. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Parts shortages are by design, just saying

Reactions: Tourer

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 200+ day wait for an ECU for my 1700. I've called or emailed every large salvage yard in the US; none of them had a wrecked 2011-2015 VN1700 from which I could pull the ECU. I have had to refurbish my ECU myself, so I'm riding on borrowed time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The entire supply chain is in disarray... not just motorcycle parts. I waited 6 weeks for a part from the manufacturer just to have the dealer say it will be another 2 weeks. Have you looked at new car lots lately. Filled with used cars as there are no "chips" available. Look at your store shelves... The bottleneck at the docks is not helping matters any either. That being said, shortages are going to be a way of life for the time being, or as the new phrase goes, "the new norm".

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Sorry not doubting you but the shelves are empty.
You could not stay in business if you're down that much!

·
Houston, Texas
1,302 Posts
That’s less than 10 percent of the warehouse that’s empty. Believe me, we still have parts. Main thing is we carry different brands in most lines. Let’s say brakes, we have six brands. We might be out of one brand but would have the other five. Certain suppliers are having a more difficult time keeping up than others. Hope that makes sense.

·
Houston, Texas
1,302 Posts
I just counted, 52 isles look like this.

Building Shelf Shelving Retail Publication

Building Product Architecture Retail Market

But that 10 percent or so empty is major supply outages.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts