Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up yesterday to go to work, checked the weather as usual and it was calling for an 80% chance of severe thunderstorms:mad: dammit! gotta take the cage to work:mad: Oh well, the storms hit hard about 2pm so I was glad we took the cage:p After dinner one of my sons friends stopped by on his VN900 and another of his friends(that has a Ninja 650)from a nearby town called and asked if we wanted to go on a short trip to Wally World in a neighboring town(about 30 miles). Sounds great! The sun was out and it was a beautiful evening for a short ride. The 4 of us head out, as we're pulling into Wally World there's a storm moving in, lightning, thunder, the whole 9 yards, but if we're quick we might beat it. As soon as we leave the parking lot it hit full force(thank God there wasn't hail) we find the nearest car wash and wait it out for 45 minutes. Normally my son and I would ride through it as we ride in full gear, but his friend on the other VN900 is a new rider and doesn't wear full gear regularly(I know, very stupid, and with the amount a crap he gets from us, he knows too!). He figured it was a nice evening so he wore shorts, sneakers, t-shirt, and goggles, no lid, no gloves, the rain was beating him up pretty good, even in town, so we opted for the car wash and wait it out. We only had 30 miles to home, and even though it stopped raining there was more on the way. We made a dash for a truck stop(about 20 miles and the only shelter) inbetween storms and made it there as the next storm rolled in. We had about a 30 minute wait there befor the rain stopped and we could make the last 10 miles home. Our friend on the other VN900 learned a valuable lesson about gearing up and after he was freezing his butt off and had to wring out his clothes at each stop(stupid, yes, but my God it was funny watching a 385lb guy wring out clothes in a parking lot while we enjoyed hot coffee in the truck stop:D) I'd be willing to bet the farm that he rides fully geared from now on. What should've been a 90 minute ride turned into a 4 hour adventure, priceless!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts