Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a lot of searching and reading here and on other forums about how to properly store a bike over the winter. However, I will only be parking mine for two months, inside the garage. In that case, is a full up storage routine warranted? I plan to wash it, top off the gas tank, air up the tires, and cover the exhaust tips at a minimum. I'm just not sure if I should do the rest of the routine.

I bought it three months ago and it will probably have 1800-2000 miles total when I park it so honestly I didn't plan to change the oil or filter. I'm still undecided on adding any fuel stabilizer. I know I need to get a battery tender/trickle charger/similar device but I haven't yet and probably won't have time to before I leave. Also since the bike will be stored in the garage I won't be putting a cover on it.

That's my plan anyway. I'm interested to hear any opinions (or facts) that may make me want to do more before I have to put it away for a while. Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you parking it in your garage where you are living / will you have easy access to it?

If so I always thought that if you can just start it and run it ever two weeks or so you'd be best off leaving it as is. That is what I have done when I had stored my bike near me for a short period of time.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Mine usually just sits in the garage from about Dec-Feb. Washing the bike before storage is sort of a waste since dust will settle regardless and she will be filthy when you next pull her out. I top off the tank, put in a little fuel stabilizer and hook up the battery tender. If you don't hook up a float charger, then you just need to charge her up before you try to start her in a couple months. If you are going to plug in a charger and forget about it, I suggest getting a good one like the "Battery Tender" brand. The $10 units at harbor freight are not as safe and have been known to fry a battery on occasion. One nice thing about the float charger is that if you come across a Saturday in February where the weather is >50F, then you can check the air in the tires, crank her up and go for a short 10-15 mile ride. I think this does as much good for the bike as all the other storage proceedures put together. You know we work so hard on stabilizing the fuel and charging the battery, but that oil just sits in the crank-case. Getting that oil moving around to all the parts inside has got to be good for the bike.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You should be fine. Your gas will lose some potency, but it'll still work. You're correct to put a battery tender on it, but with a full tank, everything else will wait for you. When you get back, you might want to refill the tank at about the half-way mark just to revive the fuel.

·
Registered
343 Posts
It is so easy to fog these bikes take a couple of minutes pull the air cover on your last ride spray fogging oil in while revving motor till she is smoking good & shut down.After doing this vavles, rings, jugs, pistons & exhaust will be coated.I think this is more important than the trickle charger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts